hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bubbastump22, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bubbastump22

bubbastump22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    [​IMG]

look what i caught in my pen with my lil roos...funny thing bout this story is that all my hens were out in the yard and the hawk decided to go after the only ones that were in pen...lol sad day i will say but now i think there is something wrong with the hawk..i have tried and called everyone i knw and still no help so now i got a hawk in my house...yaya me.

i have a video to but for some reason i cant post it

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Be careful - not sure you are supposed to possess birds of prey - wouldn't want you to get in trouble with local game wardens. Just sayin.'

3. hungry4eggs

hungry4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    Not sure of their milage limit but if you are in the South East Auburn University has a Raptor Rehabilitation Center.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Release bird promptly if you have not already done so. Hawk may have been targeting songbirds using your run as cover. Most interactions my free-ranging birds have with Coopers Hawks also involve songbirds moving with chickens. In most instances my chickens ignore the hawk as it zips after such prey but if it lands to close my game roosters will get after pretty quick. Hen only flocks and juveniles without adults to defend them are what Coopers tend to target.

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Either let it go or find a raptor rehab place, I wouldn't be posting too much about a captive hawk online and I'd probably remove that picture, hawks are federally protected and even if you are trying to help the stupid thing it may land you in hot water.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Yes Auburn University does have a raptor rehabilitation program. In fact it is right down the road from a woman I know who kept (past tense) free range chickens. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. hungry4eggs

hungry4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Cataula Georgia
    Can't blame the Raptors for doin what they do, I sit in my yard and watch the hawks by my house hunt. While I will protect my chickens I hold no ill will toward the hawks if they get one.

8. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    well i called the raptor rehab lastnight and she was 30 miles away ..so bout 15 mins after i called her the hawk died..i think it was sick or something cause it wouldnt fly and looked really dazed...but now i have its mate attackin my hens. went out there this mornin to see if my eggs started to hatch and my hens on the eggs were fine then when i came home and went out there i seen one of my hens that sits on a nest..i got 3 sitting on nest of 10+ eggs.. but anyway she looked sick then i looked closer and her head was plucked clean and all bloody.. then i put her back up near her nest so she could rest and noticed that one of my other hens that was sitting was also badly hurt as well but not as bad as my one.. so i brought bought hens inside ran warm water over there heads to get most of the dry blood off and put triple antibotic on them and now there back on there nest resting..

9. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    well i had another attack today think it was from the hawks mate.. the hawk i caught lastnight died..guess it was sick couldnt fly i called the raptor rehab and the lady was 30 miles away and shortly after i called her the hawk died..dont knw what was wrong with it ..didnt even eat my lil roo just killed it and that was it.. now my 2 sittin hens got badly injured today plucked heads and all bloody from the other hawk..i cleaned it all up and put triple antibotic on there badly bloody heads and now there back on there nests. resting..i hope my one that was really bad plucked on the head will make it but i dont knw i had to pull hawk feathers out of her mouth .dont knw if she ate or drank today but her crop didnt feel full..maybe tomorrow that i go out there that she will be alittle better and can eat something.. all i want to do is cry my eyes out cause i feel that if i was here today and not in town that this wouldnt of happen.... and now i might lose 2 of my sittin hens...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. Farns

Farns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    WA State
    Great. Now I have a sick feeling in my stomach. You should've never touched that hawk, or brought it inside. I doubt there was anything wrong with it until you touched it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by