Hawk!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ClareScifi, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Just had an awful scare! A hawk of some sort was perched atop my chicken run! I wish I knew my types of hawks, but I don't. I had almost let the chooks out early, but it's Sunday morning, and I was afraid the rooster would annoy the neighbors sleeping in. Thank God I did not. I'm sure that hawk would have gotten the Bantie. I've never seen a hawk here before. I'm in the city. Do you think he'll likely be back, or was he just passing over? Something new and horrible to worry about! Do you think the hawk could have smelled the chickens, and that was why he was atop their run? It is not roofed. Do you think it is safe to leave the chickens outside while I go to church? It's to be 95 F today. Should I leave them in the coop?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do your hens free range or live in a fenced area?

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    They are in a fenced area. They have a coop with a run on the east and a run on the west. The fencing is plastic mesh stapled to a wood frame. But there is no top over it.

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I do not let them free-range, but their run is pretty good-sized, with no covering over the top.

5. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    I had a chicken snatched out of my urban backyard by a hawk, unfortunately. I would take some of that plastic mesh and cover the top of the run if you have time. Also, just so you know, if a raccoon, possum, or dog ever gets into your yard it will be able to get through the plastic mesh on the sides of your run and kill your chickens. Most of us recommend a 1/2 inch metal hardware cloth wrapped around your run to prevent intruders. I say this because most people will think they're safe, and then one day will find the sickening sight of their run ripped open and their birds dead or gone. I say this from experience. Just a friendly word of caution - I hope your birds are safe today. It can sometimes be very hard work to keep all of these pests from eating our chickens!

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    It's a heavy mesh from Lowe's, not a thin mesh. Dogs have been in the yard and haven't bothered the chickens. It's not really a mesh, I guess. It's thick green plastic, and the squares are about 2" in size. But I'm sure a raccoon probably could pull it off, as it's stapled on.

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    It's a fencing material, not what one generally thinks of when you hear the term mesh. Dark green thick plastic squares that make up a fence, but it looks something like mesh.

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Where could one buy a mesh to put over the top of the run that is not too expensive? I have some. It was sold as a cover to protect strawberries from birds, but I don't think I have enough of it, and it has some holes in it.

9. Apdeb

Apdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2013
    Woodbridge Ct
    Clare i free range and a hawk took my #1 rooster
    Now when i leave them out i put radio on talk radio
    It seems to help
    However there "sitting ducks in that enclosure"
    The breeder if my barnies put some kind of nylon fish netting on top of her yards!!! They get tangled up in and dont like

10. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thank you! I just dug out my mesh. It had chicken wire tangled up in it, and fir branches. What a mess to get it out! I'm going to try to put it over the run this afternoon. I will open only the east side this morning. It has wooden beams that would make it harder for a hawk to swoop down.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by