Hawks =0, hummingbirds/crows/chickens=priceless

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kareninthesun, Aug 5, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Wow! Free range the girls when someone or the dogs are out there to protect them. This early morning, I was out w/em, editing material, when suddenly the crowded community of hummingbirds in the five orange cape cod bushes went on high alert. Looked like the skies above an aircraft carrier. Lots of noise and proactive scattering. Then suddenly a group of crows show up. My chickens understood the hummingbird lingo immediately and dove under a tall, broad lemon grass plant and under the snail bush. Both plants have patio chairs next to them offering more protection. At the first sounds from the hummingbirds, my lab whom was inside sleeping was outside in a shot. The hawk flew low behind me, dared to turn, and started to park itself on the fence. Between the dog and the hummingbirds, they vocalized differently, my normally calm dog was nearly in her face. Hawk went elsewhere for about three minutes, but the crows/hummingbirds were onto her game. It was the first time I ever heard the serious warning sounds from the chickens, then the absolute silence, not a feather ruffled until the good guys flying over changed their sounds.

I'm taking a break to refill all the hummingbird feeders and switch out a few wild bird feeders with treats the crows love!!!

2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    That's awesome!! [​IMG]

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice! [​IMG]

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Hmmm. There was a study done that showed that Hummingbirds actually built their nest close to Cooper's Hawks' nests -- the researchers surmised the hummingbirds did not see the Cooper's hawks as a threat to themselves but as a deterrent, a protection from the Hummingbirds' threat: Jays and Crows.

Perhaps the Hummers were reacting to the Crows who were reacting to the Hawk & the chickens reacted to all of it -- no matter the dynamics, at least it worked!

5. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great! I wish I had that kind of protection last week when I lost 3 to a hawk in two days!
    FisherMOM, I love your avatar!

6. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Just know the hawk will be back........prepare yourself. I, too, let my chickens free range. They absolutely love it and I wouldn't take that freedom away from them for anything in the world. Just be on the look out....

7. wendyrun

wendyrun Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Hawks got one of my mine early this morning....and I thought my big barred rock girls were too big. Now I have one lonely chicken.

My husband thinks the babies have finally gotten big enough to hunt - he saw them snatch a squirrel out of its nest and 3 of them shred it, which appears to be the same fate that my Ginny suffered.

I'm so upset with myself - I didn't pen them up last night b/c when I went out to grab them, they were panting. It's so hot here, they have been refusing to go into the coop each night. I'm going to make a perch for my remaining girl inside the coop so she can enjoy the breeze inside the wire instead. [​IMG]

8. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I know the hawk will keep doing fly by's, so they aren't out unattended. These are white tailed hawks, and guessing they're like the red tailed ones. Seen red tails grab hares, once ib a parking lot while shopping a big rat, so know if they can get their talons around to snag, it will be too late. The hummers here are people friendly, sometimes get in my house, they dont like birds getting in their airspace. Think they've sort of bonded with the hens because their coop is about 1 1/2 feet from their homebases.

9. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    Don't judge me for this... but I spend a lot of time watching my chickens-- I'm proud of them and all their chickeny glory-- and I noticed they make this funny little shrill sound when they perceive danger... I actually make this same sound when I see a hawk fly by or any other predator and the girls make a run for it. funniest thing ever!

I do not recommend abusing this power, though...don't want to desensitize them.

The Chicken Whisperer,

Ryan

10. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    i have a family of crows around my house and they protect my chickens from the evil hawks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by