Hawks and Adult Ducks

Little Byrd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2015
Georgia
I have a REALLY bad problem with hawks in my area. I've already lost Brownie, my 7-week old duckling to a hawk, and after that I haven't let any of my ducklings truly free range. They're in 7'x12' pen with birdblock over the top, but hawks keep coming around looking for a way in (thankfully they can't get in).

Do I still have to worry about hawks when my ducks are full grown? I have two 12 week old khakis, two 8 week old runners, and one 7 week old runner. My yard is an acre and completely fenced in, but only their pen has birdblock.

Yes they can still injure a full grown duck. They might not be able to carry them off but they can still kill them. Some people hang old cd's from strings to scare off the hawks. You might even try a statue of an owl to keep them away. We have the most problems with hawks in the fall of the year when they are migrating south.

Yes they can still injure a full grown duck.  They might not be able to carry them off but they can still kill them.  Some people hang old cd's from strings to scare off the hawks.  You might even try a statue of an owl to keep them away.  We have the most problems with hawks in the fall of the year when they are migrating south.  

A statue of an owl? I could try that, but wouldn't it scare my ducks as well?

Back
Top Bottom