Hawks and Vultures in Maryland

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChixRock, Aug 21, 2011.

1. ChixRock

ChixRock Hatching

Jul 28, 2011
    Davidsonville, MD
    So- the second time I have let my babies (8 weekers) run around the yard "unsupervised". I got out and check on them every 10-15 minutes. Today- I came out and there were 20-30 large birds- vultures, I am assuming. I am trying to tell myself that they were not flying in circles over my property to catch my lovely chicks. HOWEVER- common sense is telling me that they were!!!! It makes me sick to my stomach to envision these birds attacking my little ones. Am I in denial? Does anyone live in MD, and also have trouble with large birds attacking their chickens? Will I ever be able to let my chickens "free range" around my fenced in acre of property? I am hoping a plastic owl from Tractor- Supply will resolve this issue... Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

Amy

Mama of 1 Plymouth Rock, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Rhode Island Red and 1 little Golden Laced Cochin Bantam.

2. SirFarmAlot

SirFarmAlot In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I think you are talking about I call buzzard. I don't believe they are any threat to your chickens. I think they pretty much eat carrion.

3. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Crowing

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    Hey neighbor!
    [​IMG]
    I have never had a problem with vultures, however I have lost 2 chickens to a hawk. (redtail, i believe)

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Songster

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    They were Buzzards more then likely. The Owl wont worry Buzzards, but they will attract Crows which in turn love to harrass hawks. Get a few Crow decoys and move them every few days to keep the hawks geussing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by