hawks are wiping us out!

shemcguire

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 22, 2012
hopefully someone can help us. we have hawks around our house that are picking off our young chickens one by one. I also walked into the barn where we have pigeons and found that a hawk had flown in there and killed one of the pigeons, we lost two that day. I know it is illegal to kill them, but what can we do to stop the hawks!!! HELP!!!

Yes, short-term measure is confinement. If following not options then confinement may prove prudent long-term.

Also consider dog.

Do you have adult roosters in flock? What types / ages of chickens are involved.

we have adult roosters, but unfortunately, these little ones are free range and don't stay in the pen

Sounds like you are just putting out a buffet for the hawks and anything else that needs dinner, A covered run or some type of safe housing for them till they get bigger is my only answer. Netting is fairly easy to put up, Even over a barn door. Sorry, there is no easy way.

we have a large pen that would be difficult to cover, the barn is in another area, and we had covered the door with mesh netting, this was closed at the time of attack. But, there is a 2' x 2' opening in the loft the hawk came through. this is going to have a mesh door soon. we were hoping for some hawk deterrant advice, maybe something to scare them away.

As mentioned earlier, temporarily confine your chickens until the hawks move on. As long as they can get a guaranteed meal, they will hang around. Then get prepared as others will also move in for an easy meal.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom