hawks are wiping us out!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by shemcguire, Jan 22, 2012.

1. shemcguire

shemcguire New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    hopefully someone can help us. we have hawks around our house that are picking off our young chickens one by one. I also walked into the barn where we have pigeons and found that a hawk had flown in there and killed one of the pigeons, we lost two that day. I know it is illegal to kill them, but what can we do to stop the hawks!!! HELP!!!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like you need to build your hens a covered run and start shutting the barn door to keep the hawks out.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Yes, short-term measure is confinement. If following not options then confinement may prove prudent long-term.

Also consider dog.

Do you have adult roosters in flock? What types / ages of chickens are involved.

4. shemcguire

shemcguire New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    we have adult roosters, but unfortunately, these little ones are free range and don't stay in the pen

5. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sounds like you are just putting out a buffet for the hawks and anything else that needs dinner, A covered run or some type of safe housing for them till they get bigger is my only answer. Netting is fairly easy to put up, Even over a barn door. Sorry, there is no easy way.

6. shemcguire

shemcguire New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    thanks for your advice, we are newbies :)

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Explain in some detail your situation / resources. Post pictures and get past the newbie hump.

8. shemcguire

shemcguire New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    we have a large pen that would be difficult to cover, the barn is in another area, and we had covered the door with mesh netting, this was closed at the time of attack. But, there is a 2' x 2' opening in the loft the hawk came through. this is going to have a mesh door soon. we were hoping for some hawk deterrant advice, maybe something to scare them away.

9. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    As mentioned earlier, temporarily confine your chickens until the hawks move on. As long as they can get a guaranteed meal, they will hang around. Then get prepared as others will also move in for an easy meal.

Good Luck!

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Here's a little something to consider: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44145/hawk-saucer

At best, the above is a cheap deterrent. Little chooks shouldn't be `free ranged' unless losses are acceptable (hawks are only one potential diner at the feast - that goes for big ranging roosters as well, e.g., foxes love rooster).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by