Hawks getting my babie's

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JamesA, Nov 2, 2008.

1. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Ok U am losing a bird a day and the hawk comes everyday around 1:eek:o.I have chased him off but back he comes.Most of my older birds run in their house when they here him comimg.He is getting my chickens from their run.Will a scare crow work or do I have to invest in expensive neeting?Any suggestions?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

only netting is the sure way. all others just fail,,, netting is the safest and BEST bet.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with 'the1much'. My run is covered with chicken wire. Originally I used netting.

4. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    I know what to do but I don't want to get yelled at again!!

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:thats cause "that" isnt always an answer,,, the OP already has a run, would be cheaper and more permanent and easier to jus cover it [​IMG]

6. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Poor chicks have not come out of their house in 2 days except when I feed them then they go straight back in to hide.The Hawk is still their but the chicks will not come out so I have not lost one in 2 days.I guess I need to get busy putting up some netting.

7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I think you are making the most sensible choice to put up netting. It will ease your mind knowing your chickens are safer, and the hawk will probably move on when he no longer has easy access to a free meal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by