Hawks, hawks and more hawks....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jessica117, Jun 4, 2008.

1. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    We had the chickens out free ranging while we were out in the yard working today and this is what started circling overhead. A couple swooped in close enough to see that they're red tails. We counted 16, only managed to get 15 in a picture.

Needless to say, the chickens got put up REAL quick.

I have NEVER seen that many hawks at once. NEVER! I don't know what I'm going to do. We lost 4 pullets and a 10 lbs. rooster last year and we only had about 2 hawks in the area (at least that was all I saw at one time.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    It's like an Alfred Hitchcock movie! My chicks and I are scared-- real scared!:eek:

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Are they hawks or vultures? They remind me a lot of turkey vultures circling.

4. jessica117

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Quote:The ones that swooped in were defiantly red tailed hawks. I ran arms a flailin' across the pasture to scare them off and they came back with reinforcements.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Me too, looks like vultures. I first thought my "hawks" were hawks, turned out they were vultures. I'm not sure that hawks travel in groups like that.

6. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    We have a local hawk that has not come after our chickens YET, I keep a close eye out and my own reinforcements nearby. I have never seen that many together at once. I actually didn't think they were a "flock" type of bird. That is very unusual if that is what they were.

7. jessica117

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Quote:They're not supposed to, but last year my 2 hawks hunted together. One day I was outside when one swooped in to get a pullet, then right behind it came the other one to get another. That's when the coop got built.

8. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    best way to deal with hawks dont free range or you will lose some... the way i look at it the price of chickens theses day i wont even take a change on losing one so i dont free range to much of a risk and heart ache

9. jessica117

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Quote:The only time we free range is when we're out there to keep track of them. We learned our lesson last year. I just can't make myself keep them cooped up. I have just become much more aware of the sky when they're out pecking around.

Jess

10. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Little late for migration. Wonder if they we just catching some good air currents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by