Hawks in the air not 1 but 4....things that make you go Hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by winekntrychicks, Dec 29, 2008.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Friday I am sitting at my desk. I work from home. I am full on concentrating at my work before me. Then out of no where I hear the tale tale screetch of what I believe to be a Hawk. I set down my Red pen and proceed out the slider and head down to see. As I look to the air I see 2 Hawks circling above the kids coop. I watch in amazement. They are so low I can see the sun shining off their beeks. As I watch them, aproaching from the south comes another smaller Hawk. They all have red tails. Roosty crows, then Banjo. I can see the Hawk moving their heads to get a better look. Cirlcling lower. I see one begin a slight dive decent. I hear them screetch. As I stand there watching to see what happens next from the north comes a fourth to join the other three. I am just in total amazement. I have had my girls and two Roos since May. I knew that Hawks live here but had not had a sighting until today. As I watch in amazement they cirlcle on final time and fly off back to the north. I think to myself we could have potentially lost 4 Chickens to 4 Hawks today as I had been considering letting them free range out of their covered run without me to watch over them..................

2. HenJo

HenJo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    wow!
    I'm glad you didn't let them go free range.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

You're in my neck of the woods! We've got mostly red-tailed hawks where I am and have always felt that they won't go after our big fat girls (I hope they don't read this).

I hear the red-tailed can kill even larger hens, but since I've not seen / had any problems, so for now I'm going to continue to let my girls free range.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had a hawk do a fly by a few months ago - landed in my apple tree (RIGHT next to the barn with the goat and horse!)

I ran outside and threw my shoe [​IMG]

5. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    We have a friend who lives in West Sebastopol. He saw a housecat with collar and bell in the talons of a Hawk flying over his head.

6. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Get a few BIG roosters.... We have a sizable hawk population, and free range unattended every day. Our beloved Chester is a smallish black sex link roo, but he has one confirmed hawk kill to his name, and I have personally seen him fight off one hawk that was easily 3 times his size! had a 5-6 foot wing span! I have also seen him alert and charge at other smaller swooping hawks that he scares off! Amazes me every time!

The big one should have had him, but between the 3 young roos hoping into the melee, and my dogs charging at them, and DH and I charging across the yard, the hawk choose to take a higher road! Never saw him come back either!

Chester may be small, but he takes his job seriously, and I feel bad for any hawk that comes here, He may not be a Nugget, but he thinks he is!

put up some defenses, cause that family of hawks has scoped your crew, and will be back, they are not dumb!

7. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:Yeh, they were back today. I heard them. That's what prompted me to share. We already have two Roo, both Bantam. We live on 3 acres. Neighbors are close-Might consider it though.....

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A hawk came screaming across the yard today, probably at coop level. The voice circled the area then got further away.

9. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:Even though they are predators to my babies; They are beautiful magestic creatures
    The coop and run is a Fortress. These Hawks knew they couldn't get in. They are hoping or they would not have come back.

10. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Yeah, I wouldnt leave it up to a bantam roo to protect a flock. Chester does ok on his own, but I think he was glad to see the reinforcments coming, I actually thought he was chasing one of the young Roos again (out of the corner of my eye) until I saw the wings open up and Chester collided with the hawk head first! It took my breath away! Then I saw the whole scene, and noted the young roos, two BIG blue cochins, and a hefty Blue laced Wyandotte charging in! Not a sound out of any of them tho, just the hens screaming as they ran in all directions! The Roos where QUIET! It was creepy!

Or maybe I just didnt hear them over all the noise I was making? I set the dogs out on them, and they exploded out the door! I set the DH out the door, and he exploded out too! (chester is his buddy) and I was right on everyones tail! (I was on the phone linked to my desk, so I had to hang up)

That hawk didnt stand a chance if he had stayed a moment longer, but with 4 roos on him, he wasnt sticking around!

I will never forget the image of those huge wings spreading out to hide from my startled view little Chester running right into the arms of possible death! What a champion! It took us a couple hours to find all the hens, they had dove for cover and some of them were actually stuck under a wood pile nearby, one in a pipe, we had to pull her out by her tail feathers! Goofy girls!

Get a couple BIG roos! I wonder if Nugget is available for rent? I love that bird, cracks me up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by