Hawks in winter

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ironjerry, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ironjerry

ironjerry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    medina, ohio
    Just walked out to barn and saw a large hawk I think flying away by back trees. A dead Aracana hen the mother of my outside flock was in the barn doorway. I ran to the back to see if the hawk landed in the trees but no luck. The Aracona is a standard hen - pretty big so the hawk was tearing the feathers off in the barn doorway. Thought it might fly into a tree with carcass if it could. Other hawks have taken silkies into trees in years past. I have four Aracanna roosters running loose and just now since the snow have come in the barn. The dead hen had 12 chicks this summer and they all stay up in the rafters in the barn above the goats. I have a pen built in the barn and an outside covered run. I had hawks sitting on the top wire but never had one get anything until now. I have a 20 gauge in the family room ready so I don't know what else to do as the loose chickens have always been loose but I don't want to feed the hawk. Will it come back now that it found a source of food? My guienea hens put up a racket but I was in the house and just happened to go for the mail. Thought I might put the carcass out in the yard and see if it comes back. What do you think?

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Yup, a hawk will do that. Sorry about your hen. Careful - it is a federal offense to shoot or kill any bird of prey ($10K fine +). There's really not much you can do but keep watch and scare them off or keep the birds inside and safe for awhile till the hawk moves on in a few days.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    It will be back and the hawks around my place in the winter try harder to get at my chickens as their natural food sources become more scarce.
    As far as shooting the hawk, it is a federal crime although in Missouri the redtails seem to be taking over. SSS

4. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    You CAN get a permit to kill them, if they are destroying livestock.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Sorry to hear of it. Unfortunately it is the price of participation for free-ranging poultry. Not a case of if but when. [​IMG] netting-covered run only defense against any aerial preds. Lots of owners only do free-range while they are about for protection or to deter preds. [​IMG] If some more drastic means are used, best not to advertise same. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by