hawks killing lav orps

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wcntygl, Dec 20, 2012.

1. wcntygl

wcntygl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    I need some help. I have lost 3 lav orps to a hawk. I have a roo and several other breeds of hens and the lav orps are the only ones being killed by the hawk. I have a run that is covered and i also have a large dog pen that is covered for them to go into. The last one to die was attacked in the run just outside the coop door. The hawk came strait down into the run because the door on top was left open to change out the food and water. Is there any thing I can do to stop the lav orps from being killed. I have already lectured the hubby about leaving the top door open when he changes out the food and water. I find it very odd that the other hens are not being attacked. thanks for any advice.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sorry to hear about your losses - and such a beautiful bird. I don't know your set up (urban? rural) but I will tell you what I do - I live in the country and when hawks are flying around or sitting in he trees and looking at the menu, I fire my shotgun toward (not at - don't need a huge $$$ fine) them and it seems to dissuade them from hanging around. I haven't lost one to a hawk yet. I'm sure it could happen but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope you can chase the buggers off! Best wishes and happy holidays!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    What colors are your other breeds? Are your lav orps any younger or smaller than your other breeds?

Experienced hawks will often (NOT ALWAYS, but often) target the easiest and least dangerous birds. To a hawk, easy means:
    - Smaller chickens
    - Less, experienced, less wary chickens
    - Younger chickens are both smaller AND less experienced
    - Chickens ranging furthest from the others, or solitary birds
    - Gimpy, handicapped chickens. Sometimes the handicap might be very subtle
    - Lighter colored birds 'seem' to get attacked more often, perhaps they are easier to track, visually, for the hawk? In many animals, areas of high contrast (such as a light bird on a darker lawn) are much easier to track.

As for how to avoid any more losses, I regret the only advice I have is to contain your birds until the hawk moves on, if it does. If you opt to free range them, additional cover for them to flee under CAN help, but is far from foolproof. If you are dealing with a cooper's hawk or goshawk, no amount of cover will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by