Hawks like white chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by baskiely, Feb 27, 2017.

1. baskiely

baskiely New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    I have raised 40 chickens for the better portion of 3 years and one thing I've noticed is that hawks attack and kill any white birds first.. Not just full white, but any bird that has white in their feathers (think barred rock). Has anyone else noticed this trend? I haven't lost a single RIR in 3 years but every single bird with white is now gone.

2. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    It's not a hawk thing. It's a white animal thing. Albinism (lack of pigment) is like a huge sign that says "Come eat me. I'm easy to catch!" No pigment means no camouflage so the animal can't dart away and hide as easily. Hearing and vision deficiency often go hand in hand with albinism, making the animal doubly easy to catch. Hawks and other predators just play the odds. White animals are statistically an easier catch.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In my setting, birds moving about are easy to see regardless of coloration. The movement betrays them. Color I do have concern about with hens brooding eggs / chicks free-range.

Also be careful and consider that color co-varies with breed, thus behavior and physical ability of the birds being targeted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by