*HAWKS!! Ooh no!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RhodeIslandmama, Jan 5, 2017.

1. RhodeIslandmama

RhodeIslandmama New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Today i discovered one of my adult hens with the back of her neck missing.. she is somehow still alive (at the time im posting this.. please keep your fingers crossed!!) at first i didnt know what happened then i sae the hawk flying around.. i have had my chickens for about 6-7 months and let them free range.. without a covered run in my yard.. i also have a huge rooster.. What is the best way other then a covered run ( im already making one) to keep hawks away?? Sorry for the lengthy post!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    welcome to BYC - though sorry it is under these circumstances.
    Unfortunately, wildlife such as hawks are something we all have to contend with - but there are steps that you can take to minimize the risks to your flock. If possible, providing different areas of "cover" in the area in which your flock ranges can help to be sure they have places they can go to hide if a predator is spotted and the alarm call given -- anything from shrubbery to small shelters created by placing a pallet or other object up on small blocks to create a hiding area beneath it. Wide, open areas with no cover are prime hunting ground, especially for predators that are coming in from above.
    How large is the area you are working with? There are some deterrents that can be used, but the practicality of each would depend on the area you are working in.
    Constructing a safe area is a good step - it can help with one easy suggestion which is to pen the birds up for a week or two. Predators quickly identify the local "all you can eat buffet" (your flock) and will return to that area repeatedly to feed at will. By securing the birds for a period of time you encourage the predator to move on to a new area. Having the run you are constructing now will help with the immediate threat and also come in handy in the future should you be visited by a new predator.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, RhodeIsladMama, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our flock! Sorry about your hawk attack. I lost a bird to a hawk the other day....they are an ever present danger when free ranging or on uncovered runs. Here's an article from the Learning Center that gives some details about dealing with hawks....hope it's helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ators-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-hawks
    For what it's worth I live in the country so I am able to scare predators away with firearms. I will shoot near - not at hawks (hey, they're only trying to make a living) as they are in a nearby tree surveying the menu. Seems to chase them away fairly effectively. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under RhodeIslandmama [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about your girl; I do hope that she makes it.

If you need some assistance with her care, you might want to post on the Emergencies & Diseases Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

A recent Topic of the Week is ‘Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators' and you might find some helpful tips there also: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1147166/topic-of-the-week-keeping-the-flock-safe-from-predators

I also hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  5. Coyox

Coyox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Belleville, MI
    We keep big fake birds of prey all over our yard. We have 20 acres and this seems to really deter other birds. The chickens were afraid of our fake birds at first but now they know they are decoys.

The few occasions we don't fool a falcon or hawk, our rooster calls all of the shots. I absolutely lovemy adorable flock of well behaved roosters. They do so much work for me

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your injured hen need a quiet, darkened place to recuperate - away from the others that would attack her wounds with gusto. If she doesn't go into shock, she stands a very good chance of recovery. Chickens seem to bounce back from gruesome wounds. You can clean her wounds with saline solution, Then apply Neosporin ointment.(NO caine product) to her wounds. Just keep lookout for signs of infection, where she would need antibiotics. Puncture wounds tend to get infected.

If she won't eat after some time of solitude, you could try giving her, favorites. Maybe warmed oatmeal, scrambled eggs, etc. Adding a bit of sugar to her water my encourage her to drink.

7. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already received some good advice and links to find additional information so I'll just send best wishes that your bird heals well.

8. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hello and welcome to Backyard Chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by