Hawks Tried to Get My Dog Today

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by OvertheHenHouse, Nov 16, 2011.

1. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Out with the 4 dogs this morning, 1 of whom is a rat terrier, only about 8-9 lbs, so she doesn't go out unless one of us is with her. I'm standing in the clear, with rat terrier about 6' to my right. I'm daydreaming - it's peaceful, I can see the horses, the dogs are hanging, totally enjoying the moment. Suddenly something goes 'WHOOSH'!!! to my left - three hawks about 2' to my left on an angle off my left shoulder, going as fast as a super tanker on the highway. I could have reached out and touched them. Holy cr***p!!!
    The only thing I can think is that they were gunning for my rat terrier and realized I was there at the last minute so they veered off. There were 5 hawks total - 2 adult and 3 juvenile. 2 juveniles were circling above and the other three came in for the hunt. Guessing this was a hunting lesson - and really glad my dog wasn't the object of the lesson. What was interesting was there was no cry, no 'talk', no sound whatsoever. We've relied on the hawk cry to bring the dogs in until now. Clearly, that didn't work in this situation.
    After the initial dive, they circled in close - I grabbed my dog, covered her with my jacket and ran for the door. I was pretty sure they would have gone for her otherwise. Just glad my dog is safe in the house -

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow! Those hawks were brave with you so close.

Really glad you got your dog back.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks! Pretty sure the hawks weren't aware I was there. I was standing still, not moving at all - I really don't think they noticed me till the last minute...

5. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Glad they didn't get your pup. My Papillion who is 9 pounds was the object of unwanted owl attention twice. Both times it was our last evening walk and Zeke was in tall grass near a tree-line going poo. Funny how the owl pulled up short when it realized how big Zeke really is LOL!!! I think in both those cases they owl saw his tail up over his back, moving through the grass and didn't realize it was connected to such a "big" dog. [​IMG]

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    How scary, glad all ended well for you and the dog..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  7. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Darn things! thats some guts on their part...my little nonsense poodle mix chases them off he jumps up on the stone wall and looks at them...hes tiny they just sit there though on the branch and look at him. then fly off

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  8. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks, everyone! Glad she's OK, too. The funny thing - in retrospect, of course - was that she and my cocker spaniel went chasing the hawks off after they swooped through. She's a big dog in a little dog body - that's for sure!
    Here's Sassy:
    [​IMG]
    She's 9 lbs of muscle and attitude - but that kind of comes through in the photo [​IMG] And here she is putting Sunny in her place:
    [​IMG]
    Sunny outweighs Sassy 3 times over, but Sassy pretty much gets Sunny every time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by