Hawks tried to kill my chickens today!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fancbrd4me02, May 12, 2010.

1. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, I reasonably put the chickens away until the hawks left. I will keep them penned until the hawks move on. The hawks are not residents, it was a pair just passsing thru. Our local crows have been harassing them, so I expect them to move on in a few days after they realize there is no food and a constant source of irritation (crows).[​IMG]

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That sounds like a good plan. We always have more trouble from migrating hawks than we do from the resident hawks.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    A few weeks ago, I saw a group of FIVE hawks circling above my property. In the past year, I've only lost two chickens to an unknown predator, but I do suspect a hawk was the culprit. Both of the chickens were taken in the morning hours on a spring day. Soooo I usually don't let them out to free range until the afternoon, AFTER I check and make sure the skies are clear.......

Darn Hawks!

4. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    My chickens have been acting kind of weird these last few days, staying in the house more than in the yard, etc. Yesterday, my 5 yr old brought me a HAWK FEATHER she found right next to the pen. We cannot get that cover on fast enough!!!!!

5. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Good thing they didnt get any of your chickens! over the past year between me and my neighbor we have lost about 70-80 chickens to hawks [​IMG]

6. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Have you tried bottle rockets?

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. Gander360

Gander360 New Egg

May 8, 2010
    Silverdale
    What would you do if you saw the hawk in action? Attacking your hens, would you run out waving your arms and yelling, or something more drastic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by