1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cindy07, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Cindy07

Cindy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Hershey, PA
    This is why I don't let any of my poultry loose to free range. I have so many hawks. All of my pens have roofs or game bird netting over them. So far I haven't lost any birds to hawks.

[​IMG]

A young red shoulder hawk looking in at my pheasant pen.

[​IMG]

Two young red shoulder hawks above my pheasant pen.

[​IMG]
    Two young coopers hawks sitting on my pheasant pen roof

[​IMG]
    Young coopers hawk trying to get in my pigeon pen.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Part of method I employ involves chickens like these and cover the birds can retreat to when threatened. Hawks seem hardwired to target smaller birds in flock. The guardian then launches counter attack from cover and when raptor is on ground, especially when grappling a chicken it is very much open to attack and significant damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red-shouldered hawks do nothing to my chickens and even sun themselves within very close proximity to chickens on the ground. Red-tailed hawks are not so tolerated. Coopers, even though visiting daily in pursuit of songbirds do not target my chickens. Adult roosters do not even seek cover when they challenge visiting Coopers Hawks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    You must live right in a flyway. Raptor heaven. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

4. Cindy07

Cindy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Hershey, PA
    Yes I do. Plus I get them nesting not far from my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by