Hawks

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
ok, back in the day they made it illegal to kill a hawk because of low population. ok that is great. well 15 years later it is still illegal to kill them, and they are extremely over populated if you just drive down the road, you see a hawk every mile on a telephone pole or tree. we have one tring to get our song birds. I keep the chooks locked up. I am so tempted to kill this one hawk. They need to have a season and limit for hawks or i am just gonna start having to protest my flock.
hmm.png

ghulst,
Coopers are hawks and most can not kill a standard chicken.

brooster,
Your bird feeder is attracting birds which is what you are asking for. All those birds are there to feed including the hawks. What's the problem??? Do you not like see hawks eat? As for poultry, you can't expect to let domestic poultry roam free without losing some to various predators. What's the point of killing them? Would you rather have the rats, mice, voles, and squirrel populations bloom. These are the primary food sources for most hawks.

So many people make posts that when put together contain enough information to get a real good idea of where they are located.

Be very careful when doing this. The feds can easily track you down and prosecute for illegal activites like killing raptors and other protected birds.

Hawks like to perch on the highest thing around. On the plains, that usually is a fence post. We used to put a tin can on each of the wooden fence posts. This makes it difficult for them to perch there.

You can't kill them, but you can make them unwelcome.

Rufus

I guess I cant technically say to just be safe and kill it, but I had the same problem a couple days ago. I got some great advice from the forums here, but in the end it didnt work. Now, I didnt "see" the hawk take one of my girls but i went out after lunch and she was gone and all of my flock was under right next to the coop. They have 2 acres to run around on, so the fact that they were ALL there told me something wasn't right. Im not the only one in my area who has had this happen, but let me just say this..... I wont happen anymore. I took care of my problem, and to be honest I think you should do the same. You are right, theyre everywhere.

Quote:
No, I do not like to see hawks feeding on my birds. They are too lazy to hunt for anything else.
There is overpopulation of hawks where I live, they killed my caged quail and serama chicks.
Hawks eating mice and rats is a myth. Rodents are coming out at night to feed, being hidden during the day.
Hawks are not owls and they do not hunt at night.

I do not believe hawks eat squirrels either. There is an overpopulation of hawks and squirrels here.

Be very careful when doing this. The feds can easily track you down and prosecute for illegal activites like killing raptors and other protected birds.
..................................................................................................................................................

I would think they have better things to do. No need to get paranoia flaming...ha

Back
Top Bottom