Hawks

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So let the dogs out, and normally When I do peep is making a lot of noise til My lab and I go over and say hi. But she was being quiet. As I walked over to give her and Nibbler some blueberries, my dog Cinnabon was walking next to me. She’s a tiny lil Shiz Tsu

Something caught my eye and I saw a shadow moving on the ground. I looked up and there were 2 Huge hawks circling the yard just above the trees. One had dipped just below the tree line until I picked up Cinnabon and brought her inside. Soon as I scooped her up the hawks flew off.

Am guessing They probably heard peep quacking and were looking for the ducks. The pen is well covered and not easy to see from the air thanks to a big tree just out of our yard having some branches that extend into ours.

Hawks have always been my biggest concern here as there are lots in north Alabama. Roof of the pen is a tin sheet over the back 1/4. Then bird netting covered with anti rodent mesh, covered with chicken fencing.

Anything else aside from putting some plywood or tin as a roof? I liked the openness of it for them but I will sacrifice that if it’s better to keep hawks out

If I'm picturing what you have correctly, it should definitely keep the hawks out. Hawks need a fairly large area to swoop down and fly back up. Yours may circle the coop for a while, but it is highly unlikely they should try anything, and if they do, even more unlikely that they succeed. They should realise in a little while that they cannot get your birds and will start to ignore them. Hope this helps!

So let the dogs out, and normally When I do peep is making a lot of noise til My lab and I go over and say hi. But she was being quiet. As I walked over to give her and Nibbler some blueberries, my dog Cinnabon was walking next to me. She’s a tiny lil Shiz Tsu

Something caught my eye and I saw a shadow moving on the ground. I looked up and there were 2 Huge hawks circling the yard just above the trees. One had dipped just below the tree line until I picked up Cinnabon and brought her inside. Soon as I scooped her up the hawks flew off.

Am guessing They probably heard peep quacking and were looking for the ducks. The pen is well covered and not easy to see from the air thanks to a big tree just out of our yard having some branches that extend into ours.

Hawks have always been my biggest concern here as there are lots in north Alabama. Roof of the pen is a tin sheet over the back 1/4. Then bird netting covered with anti rodent mesh, covered with chicken fencing.

Anything else aside from putting some plywood or tin as a roof? I liked the openness of it for them but I will sacrifice that if it’s better to keep hawks out
I'm having trouble picturing it. Can you put a picture of your set up on here? Sounds like you should be good but I'd like to see.

E73EC4C4-68A0-4BAE-A0D1-7EB94C10F79A.jpeg
1DC612CF-0D64-4CE2-8CDD-0F49BA278636.jpeg

Some pictures of the setup
Second picture shows the top pre chicken fencing. It’s now got chicken wire fencing covering the top of it as well

Most hawks do not hunt by soaring overhead. Red-tailed hawks sit on a tree or post and wait for movement. Cooper’s hawks fly low and quickly around a corner or through trees to catch their prey unaware. I suspect the hawks you saw were just out for a glide on some warm air currents but they could have heard the sounds and thought they would check it out for later. As others have said, your set up looks fine! I wouldn’t worry.
PS We used to live in Madison, AL.

Back
Top Bottom