Hawks

Penelope59

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
We had our first encounter with a hawk while our chickens were free ranging, today. Luckily, I stepped outside just in time or we would be missing one or more of our girls. I must say it was quite unnerving.
Has anyone tried using an owl decoy placed on top of the run? Or any other tips?
Until then, they will no longer free range unless I’m outside with them.

We had our first encounter with a hawk while our chickens were free ranging, today. Luckily, I stepped outside just in time or we would be missing one or more of our girls. I must say it was quite unnerving.
Has anyone tried using an owl decoy placed on top of the run? Or any other tips?
Until then, they will no longer free range unless I’m outside with them.
Never tried a working one, but the one we got from a few months ago is out and we haven't seen hawks try and swoop our yard since then.

Decoys like that only work for a short period of time before the hawk gets used to them. The only thing that could fully stop hawks are runs/yards that are covered. Some options are netting and wire. I’ve also seen people use fishing line strung across areas. I really wouldn’t try and kill the hawks and other birds of prey… they’re vital to our ecosystem and are great at keeping rodent populations at bay. Killing them only makes room for another to take its place. I coexist with year round nesting hawks and eagles by keeping my chickens in a large covered run, they don’t even come to check out my chickens anymore.

FWIW, my run is not covered, and I have had a Goshawk(s) take out two chickens. Only. But the walls of the run are 8' high, and I think it deters birds of prey because they can't get a good flying start carrying dinner to get out of there. Or I've just been lucky.

Last edited:
Decoys like that only work for a short period of time before the hawk gets used to them. The only thing that could fully stop hawks are runs/yards that are covered. Some options are netting and wire. I’ve also seen people use fishing line strung across areas. I really wouldn’t try and kill the hawks and other birds of prey… they’re vital to our ecosystem and are great at keeping rodent populations at bay. Killing them only makes room for another to take its place. I coexist with year round nesting hawks and eagles by keeping my chickens in a large covered run, they don’t even come to check out my chickens anymore.
Our run is covered and predator proof. The hawk spotted them while they were free ranging in the yard. And no, we’d never shoot a hawk.

Our run is covered and predator proof. The hawk spotted them while they were free ranging in the yard. And no, we’d never shoot a hawk.
There’s really nothing that can completely stop a hawk from getting chickens while free ranging. That’s why I chose not to free range. At my old place a red tailed hawk swooped to try and get a chicken with me and my bigger dog right next to them. I decided to just build my chickens a large predator proof run to keep them in as they are pets to me and I don’t want to lose any. Free ranging comes with risk and it’s just a matter of when something will happen. Many people free range and accept the loss, others only free range supervised and even then things happen.

All raptors are federally protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
I had no idea. Thank you for clearing this up. I looked into it, thinking surely you'd be allowed to dispatch a raptor that's actively killing your chickens, but NOPE. You are absolutely correct: It is illegal to kill any bird of prey under U.S. federal law. You can't even collect their nests, pick up a roadkill, attempt to hatch their eggs, or possess any part of the bird - including feathers. "It is a class A misdemeanor with a $15,000 fine and up to 1 year imprisonment for violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act."
https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Wildlife/Nuisance-Wildlife/Birds-of-Prey-and-Livestock.

The U.S. entered into conservation treaties to the same effect with Canada, Mexico, Japan, and Russia as well.

I stand corrected and humbled appropriately.

You need to invest in hawk netting and /or get some guardian animals if you want any chance of deterring hawk attacks. Being out with your flock may not work. Some hawks attack even if you're right next to the chickens.

There’s really nothing that can completely stop a hawk from getting chickens while free ranging. That’s why I chose not to free range. At my old place a red tailed hawk swooped to try and get a chicken with me and my bigger dog right next to them. I decided to just build my chickens a large predator proof run to keep them in as they are pets to me and I don’t want to lose any. Free ranging comes with risk and it’s just a matter of when something will happen. Many people free range and accept the loss, others only free range supervised and even then things happen
All raptors are federally protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
We’re not going to shoot any hawks.

Back
Top Bottom