Hawks....

Chickengirl47

Songster
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Louisiana
Would a hawk kill a full grown chicken?
sad.png

Yes. Even the individuals of largest breeds can be taken out. In order to do so the hawk has to be able to latch on with feet and control chicken on ground. If it cannot or looses latch, then chicken can get away and sometimes even fight back.

They go after my chickens. I just found out I have TWO hawks hanging around my yard. I thought it was one hawk per so many miles.

I let the chickens out yesteray and right off the bat the roo starts screaming.Sure enough a hawk is in the tree watching him.My roo has excellent vision!

Girls stayed in the coop. I put him back in too.Didn't want anyone killed on my dd's bday! The hawks are so annoying.I mean I would have a peaceful chicken yard if it were not for them darn hawks.

These hawks are strange creatures. I've have 3 or 4 flying around the last week and screaming like crazy. They're into their mating season. But with as many crows pestering them for the life of me I don't see how they can ever get together. They don't seem to have given my chickens a second look. Even the 8 week old chicks are unfazed. But if I'm outside and they feel threatened they run to me.I guess I'm the big brother now.
smile.png

Last edited:
This time of year they are setting up territories and fighting amoung themselves. Those soaring I do not consider a threat since they are displaying to other hawks or riding thermals for migration. Generally when hunting they start attack run from a perch; even Coopers hawks do that,

Some hawks will, most hawks won't. Most types of hawks are too small to take on a large chicken.

If you have problem hawks, keep your birds in a covered run. Problem solved.

Yes! I am batteling that right now!
We have a hawk that is about the size of a large robbin taking down our full grown, standard sized hens. I believe it is a Cooper's Hawk. All they need to do is get the chicken and hang onto their neck until they squeeze it dead. The hawk's small size is irrelivant. They even are dive bombing us!!!

Back
Top Bottom