Hawks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    So I read on a forum that hawks are attracted to white birds. This worries me because so far I have not had a problem with a hawk killing one of my ducks although I have seen them hanging around, but I am getting some magpie ducks. Magpies are white with black on the top of their heads and backs. Has anyone found that the hawks are attracted to white birds rumor is true? If so, do you think they would go for a magpie?

2. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i dont think that is true cause my scovy have white on them and i have a hawk that hangs around and never had them bother a full grown duck but they did kill 6 duckling last year

3. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    I am sorry for your losses:( But it is good to hear that they don't bother your moscovies. I feel much better knowing that.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We have hawks here and I am pretty sure a large red tail would go for one of my Scovy ducks, maybe not a drake but a duck it could probably carry off. And I think the reason of rumor about white birds is because they stand out like a sore thumb. I just had a red tail kill a bantam cochin [chicken] about a month ago, and she was dark barred not white so I'm thinking availability is more the norm than color. Although a white bird standing out in the open would probably be seen alot easier than a barred colored bird. So don't ever get complacent about your ducks and hawks just because your ducks may not be white.

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I had a Mallard scooped up by a hawk and dropped (either because I scared it or because it was attempting to kill it) but anyway that duck had a sprained leg for a week, though it could of been much worse. I wouldn't chance it. Give them a covered pen if you can. Better to be safe than sorry.

6. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    By the way my Mallard was a normal brown colored one, not a white one, and the hawk still spotted it.

7. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    My ducks have a covered pen that I leave them in when I am at school, but I feel bad leaving them in there for so long. They love free ranging and eventually I want to be able to let them out even when I am at school but I understand hawks will always be a threat so I am hesitant.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Honestly, this all falls down to your predator dynamics. Each area has it's own risks and over time after you get something they desire you learn what level of the threat they are. 100% white birds are more visible that said it doesn't in the least let out birds that aren't nor does it necessarily mean your white birds are sitting targets.

Now i have heard areas with large raven, crow populations have less hawk problems as they go after hawks, which is true i have seen/heard them here doing so. My hawk risk is moderate... if you free range it's always a risk and you must ensure the birds have "cover" .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by