hawks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sweetie pie, Jan 21, 2015.

1. sweetie pie

sweetie pie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Just lost one of my four chickens to a hawk. I have been so upset. They were out of their run like i have been doing for the last two years. Now I only let them out if I am out with them. Was wondering if a hawk will attack if Im out with them? Also the other three were so scared by everything that they have not laid any eggs in a week. Do you know how long it will be before they start laying again? Thanks in advanced and this is a picture of my three that are left[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Hawks don't usually attack while there are people nearby, but it does occasionally happen.

As for when your hens will being laying again, it is hard to know for sure. It will probably be at least a few weeks, though.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. sweetie pie

sweetie pie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Thank you :)

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your loss. Hawks are usually wary of humans, but some are very bold, so do be careful. Usually hens will start laying again a couple of weeks after an upset, but because of the time of year, if they have stopped laying it may be spring before they start up again.

1 person likes this.
  5. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    I lost a lot of young chicks before I realized what was happening. I have a run that's about 5 1/2 feet tall and have 3 rows of electric fence around the bottom. The top was open. I was devastated! I checked on BYC and someone sent an article from Mother Earth News. It said to take fishing line and run it in a criss crossed pattern across the top. The gaps can be about a foot apart. Hawks won't go into a place where they might not easily be able to escape. I never lost another chicken to hawks after that! The line will eventually break so in the fall, I replaced the fishing line with orange twine.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    On other threads I subscribe to, I have heard of several episodes of hawks swooping down and taking birds while the people were a few feet away. Probably depends on where you live. In well populated areas the raptors have gotten used to people being around. In suburbs near us - hawks attack dogs even on the leash. Free range birds are always open to attack. I know hawks won't intentionally dive through mesh or some other light cover material BUT, if it isn't visible to them - they will. I think neon or hologram sparkly material would be most effective. A well built sturdy run with cover is your best bet.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry for your loss![​IMG] In my experience, hawks don't usually attack when there are people nearby. But, I'm sure that there are some bold ones that would try, even with you outside.

1 person likes this.
  9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I'm sorry about your losses to the hawks. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. If there are lots of hawks in your area and they are used to people being around, they can become very bold about attacking your chickens. If the losses are unacceptable, you will need to keep your flock in a covered run of some kind. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in protecting your flock from the hawks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by