Hay as bedding for brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Going Quackers, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My chicks aren't here yet but thinking ahead lol I usually prefer shavings(have brooded ducks before) but my usual supplier is mainly giving out sawdust which is a definite no.

So i was reading where someone used hay? i have a nice grassy hay mix i feed my horses? not sure about this idea though.. opinions? or what have you used instead of the shavings. I may try a different source but that still won't guarantee i get better proper curled shavings.

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I would not use hay for a week or so. I use paper towels for about a week.

3. darin367

darin367 Songster

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    i use newspaper for a few days then go to hay... no problems..

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've always brooded mine on the hay I swept up off the barn floor. They peck at the seed parts but it's really okay for them to eat it, and the don't eat much, just like tasting. They're going to taste whatever you put in there anyway. I figured why pay for something I already have for free?

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Wouldn't the towels be slippery? I have a wooden brooder box... i wonder what i could place underneath

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I gather it's the first couple days it;s ok to do, i guess i am worried about legs.. you know with slippery surfaces?

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    This is what i read, they peck away at it, i figure the stuff that is leftover in the hay barn would be excellent.. it's soft not a stem hay at all.

8. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I use the textured non-shiny paper towels like bounty or the generic kind, it has bumps and quilted design not slippery at all, that way I can see their poop better and I can tell if they are healthy, getting enough water etc. Just easier to see that way. I would NEVER use newspapers as that is slippery and you could have problems with spradle legs etc.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Gotcha, that is what i thought with the newspaper plus it would make the chicks covered in newspaper ink yucky.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: