Hay Feeder for Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bigredfeather, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am wanting to build a type of free standing hay feeder for my goats that will help to eliminate wasting hay. Anyone build one that has proven to be effective? Pics would be great. I can figure out the size I need, looking more for designs.

Thanks.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have been thinking about the same thing. Hope to get some replies. Great topic! [​IMG]

3. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    About halfway down this page is a really good example of one made out of cattle panels. Just put a top on it and it'll stay dry.

Maggidan's Minis

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I have one my husband has started making. I am using it as is it is not finished yet. I will see if I can get a pic of it tonight when I go out. It is dark now.

It is a big blue tank we cut in half and will make 2 feeders. He put frame/legs on it and some tubing on the edge around it cause the metal is sharp where he cut it in half. It works great but we will but wire in it elevated eventually and the hay inside that so they have to pull the hay out the holes to eat it and can't whip it out of the feeder with there head onto the ground or stand or sleep in it. [​IMG] then of course you can put on a top if you wish. We did not plan to do that but we may.

5. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  7. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sunny - I don't know how big those baskets are but they certainly look like they'd work. You'll have some waste if you've got a fine hay...you probably want to look for a coarse hay if you use them.

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:This is THE BEST hay feeder that I have seen EVER. [​IMG] WOW !!! Who knew! I never would have thought of this. I hope you don't mind if I use your idea. [​IMG]

Thank you for sharing. [​IMG]

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Does this feeder require the animal lay in it? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by