hay for chickens?

Ariel72

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
I've read that Joel Salatin feeds his chickens hay in the winter. Sounded good, but can't get mine to eat it and I've tried grass and alfalfa. Since they freerange in the warmer months I thought they'd really go for it. I've even tried pouring their layer mash on it. They just scratch it into their bedding. Has anyone had luck getting their hens to eat hay?

Mine have nibbled on the alfalfa hay, but the only time they really eat it is when I cut it up really small and soak it in water with some other "treats."

some don't recommend giving alfalfa, as I guess it can cause crop issues. I have given alfalfa in the past. They dig through it, eat the little alfalfa leaves off the stalks and leave the rest. Didn't have any problems.

my chickens free range during the day so they eat lots of things. I have noticed them eating the hay that I have for my bunnies. It is a wheat/lespidiza mix and they are really liking it. I also feed them wheat seed from time to time.

Mine always eat hay and I'm always afraid that it will get stuck in their throat.
hmm.png
When I clean the nesting boxes and coops and put in new hay, they go CRAZY and fly all over trying to get the hay. I don't get it.
idunno.gif

I throw alfalfa hay into their run from time to time. They seem to eat the leaves off of it and kick the rest around.
They seem to enjoy it. No problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom