hay for chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gracie58, Aug 8, 2014.

1. gracie58

gracie58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    i got some hay, because i think my hens are ready to lay, but all they are doing is scattering it around and eating it, is that normal or is it to early to buy hay?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Even mature, established laying hens will scratch at, scatter and munch on hay - it's what chickens do. Those that are preparing to lay will also start working out their nesting skills and this often involves a lot of pretty enthusiastic construction with the hay (done with feet and beaks). That being said, is the hay in the nesting boxes or have you scattered it everywhere? If it is the former and they are moving it out of the boxes there are some possible fixes to miminimize that - if it's the latter, expect them to continue as being scattered about makes it just another pile of stuff to be gone through looking for tasty morsels to eat.
    How old are your birds?

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    A bale of hay is almost as entertaining to a flock of chickens as a: compost heap, ant hill, flower garden, nicely mulched anything, pile of scratch.

1 person likes this.
  4. GreenDragon

GreenDragon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    SE Iowa
    I have hay on the on the floor of my coop and wood shavings in my nests

5. gracie58

gracie58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    the 23rd they will be 5 months

6. GreenDragon

GreenDragon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    SE Iowa
    only 3-4 of my 8 are laying eggs right now and they are about 5 months now i only get 1-2 eggs a day right now

7. Carpenter Coop

Carpenter Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you think They like to play in straw[​IMG]

It was almost a full bale

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by