Hay for Winter Ducks (and Geese)?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brickman House, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Hi all!

I have a small backyard farm flock of 8 ducks and 2 geese here in the MidAtlantic, where we're starting to prepare for a cold, wet winter after an unseasonably cold, wet summer.

The Waterfowl Crew are as much pets as anything. They devour 4 quarts of waterfowl pellets every morning for breakfast, and are then let loose to play in their pond in our 1/4 acre hobby orchard for the rest of the day.

They're quite happy, quite fat, and quite entertaining!

Winter IS coming, though, and the bugs and grass will die down. Of course we'll continue to provide pellets, but are looking at some ways to provide some greens when the grass dies down soon.

We have horses, and feed alfalfa hay year round. We've heard the geese might enjoy a flake of alfalfa regularly-- would the ducks, as well, or should we be looking for something else for winter greens for them?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Geese and ducks really like being out in the snow...when it gets colder start feeding them a lot of cracked corn to get them fat for winter. Also, just keep a place where they can get out of the wind with plenty of warm straw....also don't place there water in the pen, they will make it an icy mess!

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The ducks might like the alfalfa. I buy bags of alfalfa cubes and soak a few at a time in warm water to get them greens during the winter.

4. I have heard both good and bad about hay, that it makes a good bedding because they like to nibble on it, and on the other hand that it could cause impacted crop, especially in ducklings. I have used it for bedding and had no problems with my adult ducks. They didn't seem to be eating that much but who knows. You could also feed them some store bought greens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by