Hay hay hay!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Sep 9, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    What kind of hay (that I can get in bales) is best for rabbits to eat? I've heard of Timothy, Alfalfa, and Bermuda.... but I dunno which one is best!?!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    My understanding the best for rabbits is alfalfa.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I usually feed my guys timothy or a mixed grass hay. They can have as much of this as they want. Alfalfa on the other hand has too much protein and this can cause rabbits some issues if too much is fed over a long period of time.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i just read this from Drs Foster and Smith;

As with most foods, no two hay types are identical in structure and nutrient content. This is especially true for Timothy Hay and Alfalfa Hay. Although both types of hay are frequently sold for small pets, each has its place in your pet's dietary needs and should not be substituted for one or another. Alfalfa Hay is rich in calories and calcium, while timothy hay is less-fattening and has much less calcium. Therefore, during the developmental stages of your rabbit's life or during her pregnancy, for example, small quantities of Alfalfa Hay can be offered. But once a young animal reaches about one year of age, she should be switched to an almost strictly Timothy Hay diet, unless otherwise recommended by your veterinarian due to low body weight.

So it seems Timothy Hay is better than Alfalfa, but what about mixed grass or bermuda?

[​IMG]

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Mixed grass or bermuda are also fine for rabbits. I feed very little alfalfa hay. I'll give it to my young rabbits once in a while as a treat but if they are eating an alfalfa pellet they get plenty of nutrition from that. Once they are 6 to 9 months old I switch to a timothy pellet and all the grass or timothy hay they want.

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Me too!

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    LoL, so next time I go to buy a bale, it should be pretty much anything EXCEPT alfalfa? [​IMG]

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Legume hays like clover and alfalfa are good for growing and sometimes pregnant females because they can use the extra protein and calcium. For adult animals that are not being used for breeding it is bad. Same as what I just put for the horse thread... Any grass hay is a good choice, grain hays can work if cut right, and legumes should be reserved for special uses. I just picked up 2 bales of clover/alfalfa/grass mix but aside from one older buck I got from someone all of my rabbits are still growing or pregnant.

9. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    you don't want to give them alfalfa as it is to high in calories. I feed my rabbits oat hay....they love it! They used to eat timothy hay but now they eat the oat hay and I think they like it better because they eat more of it. Any grass hay is good......bermuda, timothy, oat.

10. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    They love alfalfa, but it's a bit like candy to them. It's okay to feed to pregos and moms, and babies, but mostly can be used as a treat for others. When I was raising rabbits, I bought what they call around here "coastal hay" not sure what was in it, but it was soft and good for bedding too.

P.S. I love the smell of alfalfa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by