Hay or not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Angel16, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi All,
    I was wondering do chickens like hay? and if they do is it good to give it to them?

2. KBG204

KBG204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Pasquotank County, NC
    I started using hay at first, but switched to pine chips. Chips are way easier to keep clean. Poop just sits on hay, plus I don't think chickens have a preference. [​IMG]

3. Angel16

Okay! did the chickens eat the hay when you had it?

4. KBG204

Feb 11, 2013
    Pasquotank County, NC
    Nope, just flattened it out lol

5. Angel16

HHAA! i would of thought they might eat it! how funny! what is best to put in the nesting boxes, straw, hay, or pine shavings?

6. KBG204

Feb 11, 2013
    Pasquotank County, NC
    I use hay as a base then add pine shavings. Keeps them clean!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I could never keep our hens off the hay when my birds free ranged. We'd bring in the truck with a ton of hay on it, park and go in the house for a minute before unloading, and come out to a ton of hay covered with chickens! And they were always in the barn, eating seeds from the hay.

Some folks have had birds get bad crops from eating hay. I've never had a problem, and my birds all have access to hay.

I use hay or shavings in the nest box, just depending on what I have. I wouldn't buy hay for a nest box, because hay is food, not bedding. I only use it cause I already have it for the girl horses and just pick up the loose stuff off the floor. If I've just bought shavings, I use shavings. The birds do tend to make more of a mess with the hay in the nest box, but as I said they're looking for food. straw vs shavings is just personal preferance.

8. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    +1

Our chickens are always around hay that is in the goat house. I suppose that you could use hay for nesting material since it can be somewhat soft but it does hold tend to hold moisture. My first choice is pine chips and or a little straw. I cut old carpet squares for some of the boxes and then pine chips on that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by