1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hay or straw on floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mskayladog, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a dirt floor and wanting to build it up, so far all I have is some pine needles and some pine shavings but not a thick layer as its been hot and I felt the dirt floor was cooling to the birds.
    For the winter I am beginning to add layers I'm going to add some more pine shavings mixed with dry grass and in top of that some dried leaves and some pine shavings and thinking some straw or hay.
    I'm going to add this over a period of time not all at once, I want the build up finished by the end of Oct.

2. ShelterFarm

ShelterFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2012
    Clayton, Ohio
    I use straw and pine shavings in a deep litter system. I've been considering adding DE powder or ashes out of my fire pit for extra absorption. I think the key with straw/hay is ensuring that it does not get wet so it doesn't get moldy. So far it's working great for me.

3. Mskayladog

Thanks. I do add a mix of ash 1/2 a canning jar of de,barn lime and sweet PDZ about twice a month or so.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The best thing you could add would be sand to build up the floor, and then use shavings on top as bedding.

Hay or straw will mat down if it gets wet, it can easily mold, and will be nearly impossible to clean up

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  5. Flora Fauna

Flora Fauna New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    New York
    Something else to consider is if the chickens eat the straw or hay they can get impacted crop. Sand would be my first choice to add to the floor, in addition to your shavings.

6. Mskayladog

Decided not to go with either and I really don't like sand so for me that's not a option. Going to stick with pine needles and pine shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by