Hay or Straw?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beeksnfeet, Mar 5, 2014.

1. beeksnfeet

beeksnfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    What is better to use, hay or straw? Not to sound stupid, but I always thought they were basically the same thing. Our run is going to muddy soon due to the fact that sooner or later the snow is going to melt (I hope). Any thoughts?:rolleyes:

2. AmandaVirus

AmandaVirus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I would go with straw, it's a lot drier than hay and won't mold as fast, also it's cheaper, as hay is intended for horses and cattle, ect to eat. While straw is used as a bedding.

3. dave3003102

dave3003102 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Its better to use rice husk, if it it available or you can use straw.

4. Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    Hay will also introduce thousands of weed seeds into your yard.

5. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border

Thanks! I will go with the straw when everything starts to thaw. I want to clean up the run, then cover it. I should have done it before, but just didn't realize how beneficial it would be. You sure learn alot the first winter you have chickens!:yesss:

1 person likes this.
  6. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border

Where do you get rice husks? I've never heard of them before. Is that what you use?:/

7. beeksnfeet

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border

Weed seeds I do NOT need. My yard is all weeds anyway, so I guess it really wouldn't matter, but it seems straw is the winning choice. Thanks for the reply!:)

8. dave3003102

dave3003102 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    If you never heard anything about or don't know about it then internet is best place for you. Go and search for it. As the rice husks soaks water quickly and also dry up soon.

9. Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    I've found it at local gardening/landscaping businesses. I have bought a 5-gallon bucket full for $2, and I think they sell it by the load, also. The rice hulls are great as a soil amendment to break up heavy clay soil, so it would make great garden compost after your chickens are through with it.

10. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    I used straw last summer and it worked pretty good. But since fall I am still using leaves that I am still raking up! I love the leaves! They compost up nicely and the chickens love to scratch it up! Here in a few weeks I'm going to dig it out and throw it all in the garden. I'm sure this summer, I will end up going back to straw, but it does take longer to compost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by