Hay Prices

kelly

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
I wasn't sure where to post this. I went today to get 2 more bales of hay for bedding. A couple months ago it was $4.25 a bale today its $5.50 a bale! I think when this is about gone I'm going to try shredded paper and see if it works.

A good use for all those papers that come through the door with your name and address on. You should shred them for security reasons anyway.

Check with a local lumber company in your area and see if you can get some pine shavings. Here we have one and they let you have them for free. Hope this helps. And if you don't have a local lumber co. it may be cheaper to by the round bales, in this area they run around $20 but that might last longer than a square one.

Hay is up for the same reasons corn and wheat are up - general demand for more grains caused less hay to be planted, drought in the southeast reduced supply, and it's heavy to ship.

Shavings are up just because of fuel costs.

Do you have a green waste recycling program? Our county chip up all the green waste every couple months and leaves it in big pile for people to collect for free. Most people use it as mulch around their plants. I get a half dozen garbage cans of it to put in my run. My girls love it, they always find all kinds of bugs and seeds to eat.
Just an idea, it free and readily available here.

Cory

hay here is $2 to $6 a bale.an alot of guys are wanting to sell it so they can clean out their barns.

We sell our excess horse hay for $2 a bale, but I've seen it as high as $4 a bale for sale in the newspaper. The farmer who does our hay for us sells alot by tractor trailer load to Martha's Vinyard. I can't imagine what they pay for hay since it's trucked from upstate NY.

I'm not sure where you are, Kelly, but here in north central Arizona, just this morning I saw Alfalfa hay for $14/bale. Almost makes me thankful we haven't gotten horses yet, but also wonder where the price will be when we do in a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom