Hay Storage = Chicken Nest?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Firearia, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, currently our friend is building me a hay storage for my chickens! However it currently doesn't have a door on it and is full of hay... I'm just imagining a broody getting in there, me forgetting about her and having twelve babies dancing around the coop a few weeks later. [​IMG] I'll have to post pictures of my Buffs and EEs exploring it tomorrow!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, yeah, they'll love that. In Violet's defense, the coop door blew closed somehow and five of the hens laid their eggs on these bales underneath the coop, LOL.

[​IMG]

3. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow! That's pretty funny! The only thing I'm worried about is the orp hens... They do not like the nest boxes whereas my EEs love them... [​IMG]

4. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    i love hens foraging through hay and straw. come winter theres going to be lots of hay and straw in my coop and i cant wait to see what they think of it. ill give them a bit of food everymorning and night. that should keep them busy for a while scratching through all the hay and straw.

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I let my hens free range in the pot belly pigs pen. We store the hay under an overhang there. The hens have dung a HUGE hole in the dirt flooring UNDER the hay. This is where they like to lay their eggs when they are free ranging. WORKS for me - - - all the eggs are in one spot - - - safe, dry, and out of the sun. My girls are so sweet to think of my comfort when they decide where to lay their eggs. [​IMG]

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Ha ha! [​IMG]
    In our feed room we had a whole bunch of hay bales, and my EE hen would squeeze threw all of them and go way back behind there ... I never did get those eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by