hay vs. wood shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jenmiller, Nov 3, 2011.

1. jenmiller

jenmiller Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    Ive been using hay for my coop. It gets pretty nasty fairly quickly. My husband has taken up a new hobby of making bowls and he hand turns them which produces a serious amount of wood shavings. More then what we know what to do with. Can i use that as the coop floor? or does it have to be treated somehow???

2. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    The wood shavings IMO would be better than the hay. ALOT better. What kind of wood is he using? I dont know if that makes a difference though.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    No cedar, but sure mix it with the compacted shavings. If these are large pieces break-em up.

4. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Agree with above post. Pine shavings are better for the main coop, but I like to put hay in my nesting boxes. No cedar shavings. If they are really big, or really small (like dust) then I wouldn't use them. You can always buy them, though!

5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I use pine shavings for the coop and nesting boxes. Very easy to keep clean.

6. JahDW

JahDW Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    hay is for horses

7. srothove

srothove Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    One of my chickens has an issue with pine shavings, so we switched to hay. She was sneezing, but not after we made the switch.

Check out this article regarding toxicity of pine shavings: http://www.ratfanclub.org/litters.html

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My chickens never had a problem with pine shavings. After several decades, I developed a sensitivity to them. I now have a problem with any kind of live Christmas tree. I use aspen shavings in the coop and it works great. They don't bother me at all.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  9. jenmiller

jenmiller Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    Well now i dont have to worry about what to use b/c the neighbors dogs killed all 20 of my chickens in one day!!! YAY ME!

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    jenmiller

Re: hay vs. wood shavings

Well now i dont have to worry about what to use b/c the neighbors dogs killed all 20 of my chickens in one day!!! YAY ME!

[​IMG] [​IMG] How did that happen?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by