Hay Y'all from Bishopville, SC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ducksrock, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ducksrock

ducksrock New Egg

Dec 10, 2013
    Bishopville, SC
    Greetings poultry lovers. I have had poultry since last Easter when my daughter brought home six duck chicks. We ended up with 4 drakes and two hens. They are Pekins and the hens give us 2 eggs a day. Then in July she brought home 12 chicks that are Old English x American Game Bantams. Of them we have 3 roosters and have lost two hens to predators.

The ducks and chickens share the same space right now and the ducks have a kiddie wading pool that makes for easy clean-out. Before I built my coop for the chickens, I used large rubber tubs with 11 inch square holes cut in the covers for nesting boxes. I have large and X-large tubs and both chickens and ducks have used them for laying. Now that the chickens are used to the coop, they are laying the nesting boxes there.

As you would expect the duck eggs are huge but to our surprise (being newbies, the chicken eggs are only an inch long. LOL, we aren't sure what to do with them yet. Maybe a dozen for one omelette? I hope to post pictures soon. I am fortunate to have 40 acres and will let the chickens free-range during the day. I want them protected at night though. They have learned well and are quite cooperative come sun-set to get in the coop/cage.

I happy to join all of you in this community.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Bantam eggs are small, and pullet eggs (from newly laying young hens) are smaller yet. They will increase in size as the hens lay for longer, although they will always be small compared to standard fowl eggs.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome to BYC and Happy Holidays! Bantam eggs are perfect for bite sized hard boiled eggs and deviled eggs.

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    too many boys, too few girls. The females will end up getting overbred and damaged.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by