Hayward, CA ... Anyone still around???

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by MaLoTu, Mar 30, 2015.

1. MaLoTu

MaLoTu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    Hi!
    I have been looking through posts about Hayward from 2-4 years ago and noticed that some people were having problems keeping their chickens in the city.

I would really like to know the specifics on the lot requirements for keeping chicken in Hayward. I have looked through the municipal code and I don't see anything that says A,B,C ....

Does anyone have definitive information for me? Or at least any updates on the previous posters from Hayward ... I will call the city if there is no info on here, but I would rather not chance tipping them off.

Thanks,

Marie

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    The code seems pretty specific.

http://www.hayward-ca.gov/CITY-GOVE.../ZONING/sec 10-1.2700 general regulations.pdf

A) You have to get an administrative use permit.

B) Your lot has to be at least 5,000 square feet.

C) The minimum available open area per chicken is 200 square feet.

D) The coop has to be at least 20 feet from any property line and 40 feet from any dwelling on the same or adjoining lot.

E) You have to have a fence that will contain them on your property.

3. MaLoTu

MaLoTu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    Ah, Thank you! I scoured the code and did not see that ... well, I seen the 5000sq ft, but the info seemed to be all over the place!

I *think* I can meet those requirements...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by