Hazel lost her cluck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by weedemnreap, Jan 18, 2010.

1. weedemnreap

weedemnreap Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Do chickens get laryngitis? Right around Christmas, Hazel (1 of 4) started sounding raspy. I gave her colloidal silver and apple cider vinegar and she started sounding better. She's been acting fine, no discharge or other symptoms but while she sounded like Darth Vader for awhile now she just sounds like she has laryngitis and no cluck. If it's not harmful I'm not too worried but wondering if there's anything I need to know.

I guess the question of why these slackers aren't laying is for another post...

Thanks for all the helpful tips and fun info I see every time I look!

2. weedemnreap

Sep 19, 2009
    Anyone???? I was just out locking up the coop and saw that she is eating pellets but when she gobbled up some scratch from my hand she kind of coughed it out. She seems to be opening her mouth a lot and just a slight hissing sound comes out. She doesn't appear to be in pain but not sure what to do. I welcome any thoughts!

3. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    sorry... hope you figure out whats going on with her.

Kind regards

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    first- try posting this in the emergency forum- might be a quick response that way, what i would do is put her in isolation, give her yogurt, say 24 hours, with the ACV water- almost sounds like a throat issue, and maybe the yogurt would be easier on her throat- is she pooping normal, any other behavior changes?

5. weedemnreap

Sep 19, 2009
    Thanks, Robin. I hadn't been too concerned because she seemed better but I hadn't seen the open beak behavior before. They love yogurt so I'll give her more and keep an eye on her.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    the concern that i have is the open beak, kind of a warning sign when birds do that. Also, you mentioned the lack of laying, what breed and age is she? has her comb started to turn red- thats usually a precursor to laying- keep us posted!

7. MowNGrow

MowNGrow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    Townsville
    Could you explain why an open beak is a warning sighn of ill hens? We live in australia FNQ and it is hot here. Our hens have always had their beaks open and never been ill?

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    guess that was kind of fuzzy, sorry- in heat thats normal, but when birds are stressed out, you will see them panting, kind of something to keep an eye on- also, listen to the breathing, at nite on the roost, put your ear near their chest, be careful with wheezing...

here is a good thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=279986

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by