Hazel's Beak injury, updated (Saturday 21st) with new pics!

barg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Earlier I thought she dislocated her lower jaw, but with my bad eyes, it turned out it was her tongue I was seeing sticking out of her beak.

She is not eating well.
Her tongue seems to go all over the place when she tries to eat or drink, like something stuck in her throat maybe.
I was unable to get a picture of the tongue thing she's doing.

There is definitely some damage to the upper beak.

/hazb1.jpg
/hazb2.jpg
/hazb3.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated.
The pictures don't show how much this is really affecting her. She seems in bad shape puffed up, not moving around alot, sleeping alot.

Last edited:
Quote:
To be honest, i'm not sure I understand the question, but from what I can see , its not cracked any more then can be seen in the pic. In other words, no I dont think the yellow is cracked, if thats what you mean.
Sorry im not sure what you mean by "the base"?
Also, do you have any idea why this would make her do that thing with her tongue?
finally, what can I do about this?

Her beak looks like it's missing a top layer like it use to be black. Now half is yellow and a little blood is on it. Is the beak cracked or broken where the yellow & black meet on the top of her beak? Maybe thats why her tongue moves funny? it maybe really sore and is her tongue ok any cuts on it that you can see? I would just clean it up and wait to see how she is tomorrow. She might be ok in the morning.

Yes, it looks like that to me, that the black outer shell of the beak got peeled right off somehow, like an outer layer of skin. Poor babe, I bet it hurts tremendously. Like having your fingernail peeled off.

Steve, look at the pics real close and you can see what we mean by having the outer shell portion lookin as if its gone...espeically the 1st an 2nd pic show it the most

Jill

Part of the problem is my eyes.
The best look ive had at her beak is the same pics your seeing now.
Thats how I see the details of the birds, by looking at the pics, otherwise all I see is blur.
I dont think its cracked anymore then can be seen in the photo's.

I hope your right that she's better in the morning , thanks for the responce
smile.png

Have you had time to check to see if she might have something in her mouth? I think I might have missed part of how she got the injury.

Quote:
Yeah her beak isnt completely black to start out with but im sure your right.
Here's a pic of her with her bad beak and Domineak the other dominique
/hazdomb.jpg

You can dissolve one plain aspirin in a gallon of water and use that as her drinking water. It will help her with the pain. I really think quickly getting her to a vet is going to be the best thing you can do. He/she can sedate her enough to give her a thorough examination and see what's going on. I hope she is better soon.

Quote:
I have no idea how she got the injury.
She may have something in her mouth, Im not sure.
Im actually afraid to mess with her much for fear of causeing more injury.

Back
Top Bottom