HB 1588 glass thermometer included?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roward74023, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Roward74023

Roward74023 Out Of The Brooder

My apologies for the new thread just for this, but i couldnt figure out where else to ask.

I have a HB 1588 with turner enroute to me. Does it include a seperate glass thermometer in box (besides the digital display). I want to have 1 in each corner, so it comes down to buying either 3 or 4. Thank you in advance!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest you either ignore the thermometer that comes with any incubator or calibrate it. I don’t care if they are Little Giant, Hovabator, or Brinsea, I don’t trust them at all until they have been calibrated. I also do not trust the thermostat setting until I have confirmed myself that it is accurate.

I have an older model 1588, it did not come with that digital display. They had a small thermometer with it but recommended I don’t trust it, it was that bad. I have no idea why they even included that cheap thermometer.

I don’t know where your thermostat is located. Since the 1588 is a forced air you do not need a thermometer in each corner, but if you want to, go ahead, it won’t hurt anything. Just get thermometers that read to the 0.1 degree and calibrate them so you know what you are reading.

Never apologize for asking a question on here or where you put the question. We all have to start somewhere. You got this location right and it helps to have it in the right category, but there can sometimes be different categories it might fit. You are not going to be fined if you put a question in a different category. There is a learning curve in how to work any forum. If someone gets rude, crude, and impolite about it, just consider the source.

3. Roward74023

Thank you so much! Great advice.

Im in the process of salt testing hygrometers (warehouse incubators incutherm plus a few cheapies petco gave me). My biggest problem is how to calibrate a thermometer. All the info i can find just instructs comparisons to a "known accurate" thermometer. The only problem is im still trying to determine which of mine is accurate, then calibrate from there.

How does the newbie determine which is correct in the first place in order to label that one "the known accurate thermometer"?

[​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Do you have an old time medical thermometer? They are hard to find around here but I found one at Walgreens. The medical thermometers are calibrated so they are accurate. Put the thermometers in a glass of warm water, maybe close to 100 degrees F.

Since you mentioned Petco I assume you are in the US. It can help with a lot of questions if you put your rough location in your profile so we know. Anyway, if you are in the US you can probably get your county extension office to help you calibrate one so you have one known accurate thermometer. They’ll check your pressure canner to make sure that gauge is working correctly, I’d guess they’ll help calibrate a thermometer.

5. Roward74023

Great idea, ill check on that on Monday. I appreciate the help and ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by