HB 1588 recovery time?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roward74023, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Roward74023

Roward74023 Out Of The Brooder

Got my 1588 in today...loving it so far.

Im wondering if anyone has ever timed how long it took for a 1588 to restabilize after the lid has been opened. Im trying to decide if i want to hand turn...and i assume a big factor is how long it takes to recover after each turning session.

I know id never try to hand turn in my LG 9300...that sucker takes half a miracle to restabilize.

Thank you so much!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Not surprised you are loving it. I hand turn in the 1583, which is the non digital version of the 1588, and I've never timed it, but I can say it doesn't take long. I hand turned in my lg too. But even with out the digital extras the temp comes back up and holds steady in no time. The only time I've really had to adjust the 1583 is when I add water for lockdown.

3. Roward74023

Roward74023 Out Of The Brooder

Great, thank you so much.

I dont know...guess i just like doing it but was looking for reasons not too. Been hand turning on the 9200 (computer fan added, rock solid temp), and autoturner on the 9300 (but that sucker is gone 5 minutes after hatch...cant stand it).

Guess i just like being "personal" with the process. Have a 5 week old buff orpington sitting on my lap in the house as we speak.

Retired military...and i suppose its just my own type of therapy. Hands-on bringing of life after too many years of taking life type of thing.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I had the 9200 with fan added as well. My temps weren't rock solid in it, but I did have great hatches. Little Giants really ruined their name when they went digital, because their digital are so untrustworthy.

I started with a turner when I first started hatching. Switched on my 3rd hatch. I had a full turner. The turner motors gave off a lot of heat. My therm by the motor was 2 degrees or more hotter. Yes, I switched out therms to make sure it wasn't going funky. The eggs that were in the turner that were closest to the motor had excellerated growth for the first 3-4 days, then quit. I took out the turner and decided I was hand turning. Had 36 make it to lockdown and 33 hatch. Never went back to using the turner. I really believe hand turning is better. And I am very hands on so it feeds my compulsions to "experience" each hatch. I'm an avid candler, so it also gives me the opportunity. Hey the bator is opened and they have to turned anyway, right? Lol I believe, to learn and understand what is happening you have to experience it. The whole it. These "experts" didn't become experts by being hands off, following someone's guidelines and never touching their eggs. They became "experts" by doing, by being involved, by seeing every little part of the process up close. That's how you gain knowledge and experience.
    Animals can be great therapy, and non chicken people don't understand how therapeutic chickens really can be. I love sitting outside watching mine on nice warm days. I love it when they jump on my lap or shoulders when they want attention. Not so fond of when they jump on my head though. That kinda hurts...lol Retired military...thank you for your service to our country. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by