He ain't dead yet!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Dec 23, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

It's now 5:40 A.M. and the little Bantie (spelling?) wild rooster is crowing outside my daughter's house here in St. Augustine. I've been hearing for two years from all the neighbors how they're going to catch and kill it, but...

I've seen it in my daughter's yard, and it's too cute to bother.

Edit: It's now 7:00 A.M., and he's STILL crowing nonstop.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    JoeBryant...are you down here in Florida?? If so, you're just a little over an hour from me. Nice weather, huh?? Cool but not too cold. ONly problem is that Christmas day is going to be warm..in the upper 70's..[​IMG]

I always like it when it's cold on Christmas Eve and Day...the rest of the time I don't really care!

3. joebryant

Yeah, I crossed the border when none of you Floridians were on guard. Have to sneak back into Indiana next Monday; hopefully, I won't get shot.
    We left Indiana Sunday with 14 degrees. Called my brother Monday, and Indiana had temp of 2 degrees. I told him not to let the chickens out of the coop (he's watching them) until it's above 32 degrees, so today will be their third day of being locked in the coop. I'm REALLY worried about my rooster's wattle after my having read the post about a rooster's eating his wattle and others' having to be (forget the word for cutting it off). I hope if mine is frost bitten that it will be okay until I get home so I can take it to a vet to have its wattle (whatever).
    The coop is very well insulated and draft free and ventilated, so hopefully he's okay. I also instructed my house-dog-chicken-sitter brother to throw in lots of birdseed and blackoil sunflower seeds on the coop floor for them to scratch in the equine pellets. A buddy of mine took them two heads of cabbage. Hopefully, they won't get overly-bored and start pecking one another.
    If a roosters wattle is frostbitten, can it wait a week to be taken care of. Does anybody know for sure?

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Are we talking about his wattles or his comb ?

Does he all ready have frostbite or are you worried about him getting it ?

when you cut the comb off this is called dubing (sp?) from what I have read a lot of people do this on there own (dont think I could)

I was talking to the lady at out local feed store who also has chickens and knows somthing about them she was telling me she has had a few that have got frostbite over the years of her having them and after a little while the comb,toe will fall off on it's own.

I guess it's up to the person weather they let them fall off or take them to the vet !!

Is there anyway you could ask your chicken sitter to put some bag balm or vasilne on his comb ?? A lot of people do that so there is still good blood flow to the comb (I dont but might make you feel better while your gone)

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Ohhhh and about the roo at your daughters house, you should catch him and bring him home with you, LOL !!!! You know you need 10 more of them !!

6. joebryant

Thanks, swtangel321, it sounds like that if he has gotten frostbite then I can wait until I get home in five days. That's good to know. It's my brother who's staying with the dogs and chickens, and I don't really want him picking up the rooster unless it's an emergency; besides, I have too much fun watching the rooster attacking him every time he turns his back. After today it'll be warmer, above freezing, in Indiana, so there'll be no need for his putting anything on the comb or wattle for prevention.

It'd be nice if I could catch that rooster for Christmas dinner.

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    I bet the roo will be fine !! Yah, I couldnt imagine asking anyone to put bag balm on my roosters comb [​IMG]

Merry Chirstmas !!

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:A bantie roo for dinner? Why bother? Your family must have a very small appetite! [​IMG]

9. joebryant

Update of crowing rooster:
    There are SIX roosters (count 'em) and two hens running around here in a flock. They all seem to get along together, and all of the roosters are identical, very pretty. Six... no wonder there's so much crowing. Ya know what though, people have gotten used to them, live with them, and enjoy watching them. I've enjoyed watching them across the street.

10. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Thats to funny !!! You should get a pic and post it if you can !! They sound like such a cute little family [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by