He broke my quad!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MuranoFarms, May 24, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    My husbands cousin came to visit for a week. Hubby gave him full use of the quad because "he always wanted a motorcycle and could never get one cause he grew up broke. This is the closest he'll ever get, and he's never ridden one before" which was fine with me. BUT cousin did a bunch of drinking while he was here and wasn't always sober when he drove it. I also wasn't always here when he drove it, so I couldn't stop him. It's not an automatic and I was worried about him not paying attention and just grinding through the gears cause he was tipsy and not paying attention. Well, yesterday before he left it started squeaking between the front wheels. Today I got on it to go into the woods to gather the guinea eggs from the nest and halfway there it made a sound like a gun went off! Another 20 feet and it started puttering and choking and finally stalled out. I walked my butt up the hill to the nest and back down then tried to turn the quad back on. It started, but every 3 or 4 feet it choked and sputtered. I finally pushed it while holding the gas and got it back to the house.

This really drives me nuts! To them it's just a toy, but this is my work vehicle! I attach the cart to it and haul feed bags, hay, dirt, tools, cages, dirty coop litter. I can't do half my work without it, and what I still can do takes twice as long! I guess I can attach the cart to the riding mower for some stuff, but I cant take that into the woods to hunt nests! It gets better.......DH went out of town yesterday and wont be back till the weekend! So it's not getting fixed till then. Since I'm such a nice person [​IMG] I didn't do any of my work the last few days so they could use the quad. I figured I had all day today to do it. There are several buckets of poopy coop litter next to the coop that need hauled to the woods and they stink! Plus the duck pond needs bailed out and refilled. I usually bail it into the cart and pull it up to the garden with the quad to dump the water on my plants (or any part of the yard that looks like the grass needs some fertilizer) I'm so irritated right now! [​IMG]

Thanks for letting me vent!

2. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    I would be kickin butt and takin names....but I have an unusual deep love for my quad so that may be talking LOL.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I'm assuming it's not within the family budget to buy a new one. If it is, I'd do that and DARE your husband to say something!

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am also guessing your DH does not have a quad? If he did - he no longer would as it would be mine. Or yours in this case. [​IMG]

Uh, I feel for you, I love my quad also and use the snot out if it, but I do not abuse it (except for the one time we rolled down the mountain [​IMG] )

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh so irritating! Some people DO NOT respect other people's things....We've got a friend who borrows AND BREAKS everything! And he gives the things back broken like it's no big deal!!!! He has broken one of our chain saws, and our old roto-tiller. This is my hubby's friend, and I told hubby, he is NOT going to borrow our new roto tiller. So hubby had to go over and till his gardens, but hey, that's the way it goes. NO MORE BROKEN TOOLS! We can't afford that!

I feel for ya!

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    DH's cousin would be doing a lot of chores if he was at my house!!! And with me watching over him to make sure he does them correctly. I'd add a few things to the list that I'd been putting off, just cause I think he should be doing a lot to make up for messing up the quad!

From the sound of it, you probably won't get any money from him to get it fixed, so take it out in labor!!!!

Jean

7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    DH doesn't have a quad yet because he wants some fancy 'goes wayyy too fast' model! lol He can't seem to find the one he wants locally so he's waiting till he can order one...or something like that. I don't understand half of what he wants to buy! [​IMG]

I know he can fix it when he gets home, he just wont be back till at least Thursday night. Till then I have to do most stuff by hand I guess. I don't even have a wheelbarrow to tote things around the yard. Since we have that big tow behind cart, I thought I didn't need one. Maybe I'll buy one! Oh......I can use Dh's credit card! [​IMG]

I know the cousin didn't mean to break it, but it's frustrating none the less. Add that to the fact that the main reason he came out was to help install an electric fence, which didn't get done. The dogs got into the swamp again today, so now I need to bathe them again. Which is the very reason we need an electric fence! *sigh*

I knew you guys would understand! Thanks!

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  8. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Quote:Forget about the wheelbarrow go get yourself a new quad and when hubby comes home tell him he can take your old quad and customize it to be his "new" faster one. [​IMG]

9. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I would be so mad, I know how you feel we have a golf cart that I use for work as well I would be mad if someone broke it on me.

10. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:Forget about the wheelbarrow go get yourself a new quad and when hubby comes home tell him he can take your old quad and customize it to be his "new" faster one. [​IMG]

Do you guys know how much a quad cost? Even a used one? Thousands of dollars--- not hundreds of dollars---- not tens of dollars!

Advising some one to "buy a new one" might not be such a good thing.

Unless their is physical damage to the quad, I would think the problem may be fuel related. Being drunk, stupid, and a amatuer don't or wouldn't have anything to do with getting junk in the fuel tank or using bad gas. Gasahol with that ethanol crude in it, might be good for the greenies but it ain't worth a nothin for your outboard, lawnmower, quad, chainsaw, or trimmer. If it has sat around in the weather I would think it could have some moisture in the fuel system. If cousin bounced it arund some he could have stirred up the junk in the tank. Or-- If he refueled it from a dirty can or poured the "bottom" of the can into the quad tank.

My advise--- Do not ever let cousin drive your stuff again. Drain fuel tank on quad, refill with fresh clean gas. Even if you bring it some where for repair they won't have it fixed before husband gets home Thursday. If cousin is still with ya'll, roll his butt out of bed to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by