He broody!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShellyBear, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    I have a girl that was sitting on 9 eggs for 13 days and she left the nest and wont go back in I'm worried that the eggs are getting to cold. I think I will put her in the crate where she is sitting on them and sea if she stays if I close the door (she does have food and water) in there. Or should I just butcher her cause she's not laying and she's not sitting? Thanks

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well how old is the bird? Hens don't lay when they are brooding. If she was laying before brooding, she should lay again soon. Sometimes a hen will play at brooding if they are young or just decide they don't want to. Sometimes after a point, they know the eggs are no good. What breed is she? Some breeds are not good brooders anyway. Regular hatchery stock are not that reliable for brooding unless they are bantams.
    No reason to kill the hen yet. More info please?! [​IMG]

3. ShellyBear

Jun 10, 2010
    Don't worry I love that hen! I would never go straight to the killing its just something I read that said your suppose to do that if they don't do anything. She is a white egg laying hen don't know the real name and she is a year old. I do know that when a hen is broody she doesn't lay eggs cause her main subject is to hatch not lay. She did lay before going broody. I have candled all the eggs and 8 out of 9 are fertile, the roo is doing his job and she has bin sitting on them for 13 days so they couldn't be over do. I do have plenty of bantams though there not big eggs I wonder why?

4. ShellyBear

Jun 10, 2010
    Sorry that might have sounded a little rude thanks so much for helping me[​IMG]

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    No, you're not rude, I was worried I was! I don't know why she stopped if the eggs are still viable. She is still young though. And like I said, a lot of hatchery stock has had broodiness bred out. She may do it and mean it at another time or, keep doing it half way. You could post a pic of her and we can try to help you figure out the breed and chance of broodiness. Bantams lay bantam size eggs but will brood large eggs too. I would trust one of your bantams to brood all the way, over the large fowl. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  6. ShellyBear

Jun 10, 2010
    [​IMG]Hear she is

7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Beautiful bird! My first guess would be white leg horn but I am not well versed in white birds. Hopefully someone will know for sure. You could also post her picture in "what breed or gender is this?" and ask whether the breed is known to be broody.

8. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Pretty girl! How long has she been off the nest?

9. ShellyBear

Jun 10, 2010
    10 minutes though it was quite warm out side and I put her in crate and didn't let her out for a wile and she is sitting again. I think she it a white sex-link.

10. ShellyBear

Jun 10, 2010
    Oh and hear are my bantams.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by