He came home with 2 goats

The only problem I ever had was trying to keep the goats out of the chicken food. :barnie
I'll second that one - and add that goats like to "step up" on the fencing, so count on bent wire, especially if you're using stock fence or standard chicken wire. Chicken wire doesn't last long with goats!
A bored goat - especially a high-energy youngster - can wreak havoc on chicken feathers. I learned that one the hard way. Years ago, we had a tailless roo and several balding ducks when we first introduced our goat to the pen! A few stumps and an old picnic table worked wonders. Not only did they give Banjo (a nubian/togg mix) a fun playground, but the table served as a hidey-hole from hawks. Which leads me to the one really great benefit of having goats in the chicken run ... our overhead predation pretty much stopped. I don't know if it was accidental or if his constant activity (and relentless curiosity) kept them at bay, but the hawks pretty much left us alone, after that!

I never took into consideration the chickens will get to the goats feed.
Maybe a hanging feeder so the chickens only get what falls to the ground, I dont mind the chickens having the hey, I give them some while winter kills grass.:th
The goats are getting lice treatment now, and yes the vet said they are host specific, so the chickens and goats wont pass them back and forth, as my chickens are lice, mite free.
I hope the goats let the chickens hop on their backs, that would be fun to watch :pop
Try a creep feeder, like you'd use for a calf or foal. The concept is the same, but the design is different. For large livestock, you put the baby's feeder beyond a low bar that Junior can walk under, but Mama can't get past. For chickens, you need a lidded box that has small, high entrances. The idea is that the chickens can hop up and in, but the goats can't get their necks in far enough to reach the feeder.
We used a rabbit hutch with the pen door removed. We put the feeder in the nest-box end, which had a floor and an easy-access lid. Worked like a charm!
We did have to rig up a separate waterer for the goat, though. The ducks kept making a mess of his regular bucket ... and that water got NASTY!

<sigh> Yours unexpectedly bought 2 goats? Mine unexpectedly bought a house. 700 miles away from my dad, my siblings, my kids and my grandkids. I can tell you that after living in this “house” for 23 years now, I think I might have preferred the goats!

They are adorable! Oh, and eventually my kids and grands moved here. All is good.
My siblings and I grew up under the threat of "The Birthday Goat." You never knew when it would appear, but sooner or later, someone ended up with a goat kid (or two) on their birthday. The last "Birthday Goat" passed of natural cause at 15, last year, so it's been quite a while since that's happened. I think it's high time to revive the tradition. My dairy-farming nephew is getting married next fall and the couple will live on his parents' tenant farm. I think I smell a "Wedding Goat!"

Goats and chickens can live in harmony as long as the goats can't get to the chicken feed. A goat over eating grains and rations is deadly. It will be easier for you to separate out the goats once they are bigger, but as kids they can slip through the smallest spaces. My chickens squeeze through or go over the fence. The goats try to reach the feeds. They keep you busy trying to out think them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom