He crowed!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Big dreams, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Big dreams

Big dreams Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    My dominique rooster crowed yesterday, I was so excited. Lucky that so far he has a pretty nice crow, not compleat but, maybe he will get a little better. He and his 24 ladies are 15 weeks old. I only have the one rooster so I was glad to hear him...[​IMG]

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Awwwwww..........congratulations!!! and yes, it will definitely improve with time. [​IMG] The first baby crows are never the best. I love to hear them. [​IMG]

3. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow... 15 weeks, huh? I'm glad he finally started crowing for ya! [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Some (especially the Heritage breeds) mature slower. I just had a roo FINALLY start crowing a little at almost 17 weeks. [​IMG]

5. Big dreams

Big dreams Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    So I am not so strange to get excited? My family thought I was, they were like "oh great!" in a sarcastic manner, while they laughed at me. Although my daughter who is 16 said "wake me up early tomorrow so I can hear him" ha ha I didn't tell her he will crow "whenever" [​IMG] maybe not just morning.... funny!

6. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I was really excited to hear mine crow the first time too. I still listen for it every morning and love it! Congrats!

7. consdrs

consdrs Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    My buff silkie crowed too!!! at 12 weeks. now I have to get rid of him... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Connie

8. Big dreams

Big dreams Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Quote:So sorry, my DH says if mine gets mean then its the pot for him .. [​IMG] I keep telling him that the hens will feel safer with him, even if he is mean. Maybe if he were mean I would feel differently. [​IMG]

9. CallyB57

CallyB57 Songster

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    If a Silkie does has not crowed by the time it is 14 weeks old, is it a hen? One of my younger Silkies emits a strange sound in the morning...like a broken up crow, and it is only 8 wks old.
    My EE rooster crowed at 10 weeks and my Light Brahma has not crowed yet and he is 13 weeks.
    My X-husband was crowing the day I met him, and he is still crowing.

10. Congratulations!! We heard our first crow from our RIR roo this week as well. He just turned 17 weeks old. It sounds like a baby crying, and he seems embarrassed to crow in front of anyone, so we haven't heard too many. It is exciting to hear it though!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: