He cut her wing after hawk attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by machix, Jan 26, 2011.

1. machix

machix New Egg

Jun 5, 2008
    MO
    Yesterday a hawk attacked one of our RIRs....she had lost blood in the snow and lots of feathers, friend didn't know for sure where she was injured, but brought her inside to the "hospital" to keep her from the other girls.

She survived the night and today he tells me she has a broken wing because she can't walk, she keeps falling over on one side......so....he "trimmed" her wing and put her back out into the coop, where she is in one of the nests. [​IMG]

I asked if she's been eating and he said he thinks so, and I asked if he knew if she could even get to the food....and suggested we go halves on the vet bill (I live in another state, but we got the girls together a couple years ago). He vetoed the vet idea, but said if she can't keep her balance, he will "cut her wing off"...........what will this do to her? Will it grow back? Will it kill her? Should I just drive the 6 hours there and take her to the vet myself???? Please let me know so I can arrange to get there before he does something to ruin her or worse......ty so much!

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    It won't grow back. I don't think its wise to start hacking bits off the poor bird she could die through blood loss, shock or infection. The best thing to do would be to see a vet [​IMG]

3. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    I agree.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Cut it off??!?? Good lord, I hope he doesn't have children that might one day fall and sprain an ankle...ok, maybe that's a little extreme, but still.... yikes!

5. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    How is cutting the wing off going to help with balance???? He should NEVER just cut a wing off. Imagine what that poor bird would go through [​IMG] If it were me, I would go now and get the bird, go the vet, then not let him have that bird back....

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She would probably bleed to death since there are lots of blood vessels in that area... He'd be better off culling her than to put her through all that pain and she would die anyway...[​IMG]

7. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Animals are very good about resting...limping.....or not putting weight on sore limbs. We humans continue on through the pain. She most likely pulled something during her ordeal with the hawk, and she's taking some time off from putting weight on her leg, therefore she's not well balanced. As for the co-owner, he might be a little unbalanced himself.

8. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Any updates on this poor girl?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by