he did it again

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beach livin', Oct 21, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    dh offered to take 2 more hens. that will give us a total of 6. the 2 he offered to take are allready laying, and the 4 we have allready are not. this is what we have for space, so please let me know if it will be big enough, or should i tell dh to not worry with the other 2 girls. the man really wants to get rid of them, and he is the same fellow we got our girls from. they will be free because he is a good friend of my dh... but anyway, the run is 8x12 with a height of 6' sloping to 4'. the coop is roughly 4' square with a rough height of 4' give or take a few. here are some pics to give you a better idea of what we have to work with. pics are not that great, so im sorry. its the only camera i have since my good one took a crap on me.

coop
    [​IMG]
    coop again
    [​IMG]
    run space
    [​IMG]

2. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    if i were you i would not add anymore but i am not a expert. are they all large fowl? and how much roost space do you have? are your nest boxes inside the coop?

3. beach livin'

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    they are all orphingtons(mom was a bo and dad was a rir). The perch is 4' long and the nesting boxes are in the coop as well. you can kinda see them in the first pic; the roost is to the right and the boxes are on the floor to the left(they are just milk crates)

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If Manteo is Manteo North Carolina, your weather permits you a bit of flexibility. Your weather isn't harsh enough to force them indoors for weeks on end. Still, 6 could be fine in 16 sq ft. Again, in your climate. Crowded, yes, but if the coop is primarily for roosting, it could be make to work.

5. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    okay yeah i would pass on them if i were you.

edit: listen to fred because he knows a lot more about chickens than me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  6. beach livin'

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    so the main issue is the roosting space then. so what if i were to add another 4' roosting pole on the back wall? that would give 8' of space for the 6 birds. i would make dh make new nesting boxes with lids so no poop got in them. how does that sound? yes, its manteo, nc [​IMG] weather is tolerable almost year round, except for when the hurricanes whip us up like scrambled eggs

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    If you could expand your run, add the roosting pole, I think it would work...no way to find out till you try....a larger run is a must if they don't free range. Since your weather is such that they don't need to sleep inside...add a roost, dead branch etc...in your run, give them someplace outside to sleep....mine love sleeping outside in the summer.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, if you made laying boxes that hung on the outside, as you see many have here, instead of robbing space inside the coop, you'd be OK. I'd guess that in coastal NC, you could count the number of days on one or two hands they wouldn't be out in the run. You could also rig up temporary wind blocks on the run for inclement weather days.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth, I refuse to feel sorry for ya. [​IMG]

10. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    I had ten in a 4x6 coop but have 200 sq feet of run space. They only go in to lay and roost. I have since culled some roos but plan to go eight and some of mine are LF Brahmas. That;s two more than what's recommended.

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by