He did, now will she?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JodyJo, Aug 1, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quick question....my roo, 17 weeks, seems to have bred my 19 week old RIR...at least it appeared so to me...
    it wasn't the domination move he pulled on her...now does this mean she will be laying an egg soon?

Do they "breed" when they are not ready to lay? Do I have to go on an egg hunt today!?

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I had a 10 week old rooster that was trying to mount my 10 week old hens so it does not neccesarily mean too much. If she is submitting to him, it means she is mature and will probably be laying soon but it does not mean right away.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Your RIR is getting close to laying age. My RIR is 21 weeks and I caught her in the nesting box two days ago making a circle with the chips. Unfortunately, I have no eggs yet. She started submitting to me a week ago when petting her. I hope you get eggs soon! I hope I get eggs soon! Good luck.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:ooh, me too....I told my hubby if he found one in the morning, (I work in the AM) to NOT eat it, he laughed at me, I told him I HAD to get a picture of it!! LOL
    He thinks I am crazy none the less!! He doesn't get IT yet!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by