He didn't want chickens coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Truckchick, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Truckchick

Truckchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2014
    First off, what a great site to find out about all things chicken. My wife got things started by finding a free chicken tractor (if we took the chickens-4h, 1r). Sounded good because I really don't have time for chickens. Well, after hauling it home, it was too small and had other problems. The chickens are past their "prime" but who would have considered that? Anyway, we are getting some eggs and they are a really nice chickens.

[​IMG]

We have an awesome landfill with a small covered area (we call the mall) where people leave good usable items, and wood pile where you can get free wood so went and scored some 2x's, and plywood.
    [​IMG]

So far no purchased items. Did have a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood left over from building a shop so used it for most of the floor which is 7"2" x 6'. The coop will have a storage area to the left, and chickens on the right. In the future, a small covered run off the back, and incorporate the existing fencing for a large free range area around our garden. My plan is to frame the roof so it uses 1-1/2 sheets of plywood on each side.

Suggestions and comments welcome!

2. Truckchick

Aug 20, 2014
    Lost wifi before the coop pic loaded so more to follow.

3. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    That's so cool. Can't wait to see fhe results.

4. Truckchick

Aug 20, 2014
    A couple more pics of what I have so far.[​IMG]
    I acquired an outdoor sign that was good for a 4x6 piece of high grade 1/2" plywood and two trusses that ended up in the middle of the structure. The sign ended up sheeting the wall on the bottom of the side the chickens will be in.[VIDEO][​IMG]
    [/VIDEO]

All I did yesterday was frame the rear door not shown for the birds and the exterior nest boxes.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile I'm studying the past threads and will hit the local landfill looking for hinges and anything else I might use.

5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Nice! I bet this project is going to be amazing when you're done.

6. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Looks terrific so far - looking like plenty of windows for ventilation and daylight. Can't wait to see more as you get it done. The chickens are beautiful too!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looking good....nice looking chooks too, but I am partial to Light Brahmas...or maybe they're the other ones(Columbians?) that look like that!

8. Truckchick

Aug 20, 2014
    Thanks for the positive comments. I will for sure post more pics as things get done. Our local landfill was closed today and I'm in need of more stuff. The selection is usually very good after a holiday so will see what tomorrow brings.

9. waynem1983

waynem1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2014
    Gloucestershire, England

Look like Sussex to me

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by