1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

He does everything wrong...gets a great hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by perolane, Jul 19, 2010.

1. perolane

perolane Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I just don't get it...[​IMG]

DH put 100 quail eggs in his homemade incubator & then never looked at them until I reminded him it was hatch time. This is the incubator we had so much trouble with last hatch because we couldn't get the humidity to come down & my purchased brahma chicks drowned in their eggs. He got frustrated & said whatever...and to me "don't mess with it anymore".

I've been peeking at his temps the whole time.....99.5 to 100 degrees & humidity 85% to 95% THE ENTIRE TIME. [​IMG] Yes..readings are accurate.

I got frustrated with his attitude & put my 10 bantam eggs in my LG on the same day. Everything perfect...candled a couple of times & everybody progressing as they should...99.5 temp & around 45% humidity the first 18 days...went into lockdown last Thursday & upped humidity to 65%. (dry hatch)

The quails started hatching Saturday morning. By that afternoon, there were 91. The 9 that didn't hatch......2 were dead unpipped, fully formed...7 were infertile/clear. I checked.

It is now day 22 for me & I have zip...nada...nothing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

So now I have to listen to "whenever you're ready, I'll show you how to hatch birds" [​IMG] This coming from someone with 3 hatches under his belt & didn't know that chickens came in more colors than red!!! [​IMG]

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Songster

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    man o man.... well there is no sense in cursing him.. it was a good hatch! LOL

ive found my husbands way is just to absolve himself of any responsibility so he is faultless and when something hits right.. hes "just that good" [​IMG] -- i till him as long as he believes it like his mommy taught him, reality cant touch him:lol:

3. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    Hello this might be off the beaten track But I have a question ? What does one do with 100 quail ? Are they pets or do we let them just fly off or do we eat them ?
    I am very curious to what people do with quail < Thank you for answers , I only have chickens. Jean

4. Freebie

Freebie Songster

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    That is a great hatch. I have been struggling with mine as well. Maybe.....I will just have the husband try. lol

5. perolane

perolane Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:I personally do not eat them, but the rest of the family does. I just can't eat something I've looked in the eye every day [​IMG]. We also sell them to others either for the table or to raise.

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Honestly my first three hatches I was spastic about temos, humididity, candling and turning.. Not a single egg hatched... Then tried to just toss em in check temps and humidity once daily , add water every 3-4 days and make sure the turner is working.. The next three hatches I had an average 85% hatch rate... I think somtimes we fiddle too much with th bator and this causes more issues then letting it do its thing ....

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I too am a 'rebel hatcher'. [​IMG]

I dont follow any of the rules and dont use lockdown either and always have great hatches.

8. Freebie

Freebie Songster

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    you don't use lock down? Do you remove the ones that hatch after they are dry? What humidity do you use at day 18? I think my past ones have all been waaay to humid.

Quote:eta...sorry so many questions. lol

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:[​IMG] I do have to say though that my last batch didnt go so well .. Totally my fault though the water well had run out as I had been out of town and forgotten to top it off... Poor thing got shrinkwrapped bUt other then that one instance lll my "hands off" hatches have done really well

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Rules WTH are those [​IMG] My rule is miss an egg or two when moving them to the hatcher so chick hatches on a turner....weee [​IMG] that must have been fun.Add water to the bator if you remember during the Summer-we dry incubate until the central air gets turned on.Lockdown around day 20 when you realize you forgot then remove chicks as they hatch...then open the lid to add water if needed it's easier than trying to get it in a tiny tube [​IMG] This results in near 100% hatch rates with very seldom a quitter along the way.
    When I played by the others rules my hatch rates were so bad 75% or so

My broody white leghorn..see I'm telling you we BREAK the rules here just hatched 9-10 in a coop reading 105-110 all day long she only had fans to cool herself she doesn't have a humidity reader which would have been reading in the extreme range

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by